deploying SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR-Atlanta:
My experience has been exactly the opposite. Reels are easily entangled and jammed, and do not unwind as rapidly as a spool. A spool has no moving parts, therefore nothing to jam, and no friction to slow it down. There are no handles or knobs to get entangled. It is the simplest possible way to carry and deploy a line for this application.

I've used both and will say my biggest complaint about spools is self deployment. (IE dropping) I've seen it may times and been tangled twice. I've gone to more traditional reels for most things but still carry a reel and spool as safeties. All of my spools live in pockets these days. Reels I will hang on a D-ring.

Oh, and in cold water, I think a reel is easier to use. Purely personal preference.

Whichever you use, practice with it and if a reel, don't skimp on the quality.

Thanks String, Howard and Stephen. Your photos and that website explained a lot.

Back
Top Bottom