HOW YOUR DEPLOY YOUR SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am lefty and just don’t have dexterity on my right hand to hold a spool and pry open the bottom end of DSMB for inflating the DSMB with the Octopus, which I had to unclip it off my right chest D ring with my left hand. That’s when I fumbled the spool and sent it to the abyss.

I have pretty big DSMB, 6-foot long and 6-inch wide (flat), When I used my mouth to inflate it half full, I had to do it twice. On the 2nd blow into the DSMB, I didn’t realize that I actually started to go up with the DSMB. That’s when I felt my fin was pulled back down by my dive buddy.

Using LP hose dedicated for inflating DSMB is the best method for me. No need to remove the 2nd stage regulator out of my mouth, nor mess with my octopus.

Good god, that’s a lift bag! make Sure you aren’t holding that hoss, it could raise the titanic 😆
Nah, that's a proper OW DSMB. The smaller ones are for fending off birds or pretending it's a light saber when on the surface waiting for the boat.

Measuring mine, it too is about 6” wide.

I retract my previous statement and feel more secure that my DSMB is perfectly average sized, adequate for signaling, and considered “large” by some in the audience 😃

Having a rebreather explode, setting the boat on fire, leaving five of us bobbing 25km out in the Indian Ocean… I no longer consider any SMB ‘Too large” and always carry two 7’ x 6” and a large high vis lift bag as well.

Having a rebreather explode, setting the boat on fire, leaving five of us bobbing 25km out in the Indian Ocean… I no longer consider any SMB ‘Too large” and always carry two 7’ x 6” and a large high vis lift bag as well.

I added a strobe that I can strap it on top of my DSMB for better visibility in the evening or night.

IMG_9095.jpeg

IMG_9093.jpeg

IMG_9094.jpeg

Disappointing infographic. I guess I was expecting more from reading the title.
Don't we always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom