HOW YOUR DEPLOY YOUR SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The next question is oral or mechanical simulation, I mean inflation? Do you make the opv pop or let it burst on the surface?
I like to puff it a until it gets neutrally buoyant, then giving it some octo to get it all the way up.

It’s super easy to do it from a knee at the bottom

Any of y’all ever had yours pop before it makes it to the surface?

This is the best method
View attachment 805880

🤣 🤣 This reminds me of when I use to lay on a drop tank (hanging from a buoy) during deco. Pretty comfy way to relax on deco

1697331494065.png

I was too slow in inflating my DSMB with my mouth or with Octopus, while holding the spool (not enough practice & one time fumbled the spool off my hand and sent it to the abyss). My dive buddy had to grab my fin as I went up with the DSMB. So, I added an LP hose just for inflating the DSMB (see the red hose in Figure 1, below). Now I can launch the DSMB in a zippy at depth without ascending with the DSMB.

To avoid entanglement, the red LP hose is clipped to my BCD left waist D-ring. The DSMB is stored in my BCD right pocket.

To launch the DSMB, I just do the following:
1) Pull the DSMB out of my BCD right pocket.
2) Uncurl the DSMB to get access to the nozzle.
3) Replace the doubleender to chest D ring.
4) Hold the spool and nozzle with right hand, grab the LP red hose quick-connect end with my left hand, as shown in Figure 2, below.
5) Press the nozzle to the quick connect to inflate the DSMB.
6) Release the DSMB when it’s half full.
7) Let the spool spins around my right thumb & index finger.
8) When the DSMB hits the surface (& line becomes loose) roll the line back to the spool to erect the DSMB on the surface (the line would be in tension when the DSMB erects at the surface.
9. Replace the doubleender from chest D-ring back to the spool to keep the line from unwinding and the spool from rolling down to the abyss.

IMG_2462.jpeg

Figure 1: My reg with LP hose for inflating DSMB

IMG_2487.jpeg

Figure 2: Inflating DSMB with LP hose.

Scuba Diver Magazine has a Q&A about using LP hose for launching DSMB:

si=nrxKb5w4zpv09DHL

The problem with using either the BC hose or adding a second hose as shown in the video is that both are so short that you'll have the SMB right up in your face while trying to inflate it. If you're going to add a second hose, make it long enough to give yourself some room to work. I think mine is 28", clipped off the left D-ring on my waist belt. It's also a handy place for a Dive Alert if you want to carry one.

NM

I can tell you how not to do it.
Diving with someone I had not dived with before, having unhooked the kedge and chain and sent them up on a lift bag. I pulled my SMB from the pocket on my BP. For “reasons” my spool was in my thigh pocket and not already connected to the SMB (takes two seconds).
As I glanced down at my pocket to grab the spool, my buddy reached over with their long hose and fully inflated the SMB.
Possibly the one occasion I really wished I had a BFK…

The problem with using either the BC hose or adding a second hose as shown in the video is that both are so short that you'll have the SMB right up in your face while trying to inflate it. If you're going to add a second hose, make it long enough to give yourself some room to work. I think mine is 28", clipped off the left D-ring on my waist belt. It's also a handy place for a Dive Alert if you want to carry one.

My red LP hose is 32” long, clipped to my left waist D ring. I can just grab the Schrader valve end of the hose with my left hand and pull it to about my navel area, where I insert the DSMB inflator nozzle into the Schrader valve orifice.

Back
Top Bottom