deploying SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tie a half hitch around the handle.

Garrobo:
Tie a half hitch around the handle.

What handle? It's a finger spool.

You can use the double ender in the same fashion that it was used on a full spool. Just capture the line as it leaves the spool and hook it to a side hole.

Pete

To attach the spool to the SMB, you need to have tied a loop in the end of the line big enough to pass the spool through (many of us tie a big loop, and then tie a small loop in the end of the big one to make it easy to pull OFF when you want to disconnect). Pass the line through the ring on the SMB and then pass the spool through the loop and pull on the spool. Presto -- a solid connection.

Put the actual line through double ender (as per reeling in) but also put the same end of that clip through one of the holes on the spool.

So you have line and spool in that clip.

Spools are much more of a pain in the arse than a good reel but its small and neat as a backup so worth learning to use.

String:
Spools are much more of a pain in the arse than a good reel but its small and neat as a backup so worth learning to use.
My experience has been exactly the opposite. Reels are easily entangled and jammed, and do not unwind as rapidly as a spool. A spool has no moving parts, therefore nothing to jam, and no friction to slow it down. There are no handles or knobs to get entangled. It is the simplest possible way to carry and deploy a line for this application.

A free running reel is a spool. Jamming is an issue with some poorly designed and/or poorly maintained reels but its a case of not buying crap reels and looking after it properly.

Ive got 3 reels none of which have ever jammed during deployment. I can cope with a failiure rate of 1 in 500 or so (assuming one failed on me the next dive). It jams, let it go, send backup up.

Reeling in from 30-40m depth is so much nicer with a big reel and handle than on a spool for me at least hence reel for my primary and spool for backup. Some people use spools all the time, some people use reels all the time. Dont see an issue and use whatever is comfortable.

jaybombs25:
Can someone describe in detail how to tie off the finger spool to the SMB, and then tie off the clip after deploed to prevent line from unreeling

Thanks
I keep my finger spool tied to my SMB (safety sausage) and I only have 30 feet of line on the spool. That way I can let the spool go, and it comes back up to me.

Someone will have to show me this. I have no idea what a half hitch or double ender is. I feel so stupid sometimes. Even if I look up drawings of how to do it, I am so knot challenged. I remember looking at my son's boy scout handbook trying to figure out how to knot a tie!! Helpless. Pathetic.

fairybasslet:
Someone will have to show me this. I have no idea what a half hitch or double ender is. I feel so stupid sometimes. Even if I look up drawings of how to do it, I am so knot challenged. I remember looking at my son's boy scout handbook trying to figure out how to knot a tie!! Helpless. Pathetic.
http://www.animatedknots.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom