SMB deployment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

razorseal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

Question about where to deploy a SMB...

yesterday on my ascend, I got my smb ready and by the time I'm at safety stop around 20 feet, I started to fill it up and deploy it. Well I concentrated so much on trying to inflate the SMB and get the rope and all, I went through my safety stop (I guess the rope got tight and when I attempted to stand the SMB, it pulled me up) so I didn't do a full 3 min stop.

moral of the story is, for me perhaps deploying an SMB is not the best idea at safety stop (at least for me), and should do it at bottom and just let it go up so I can be at my 15 ft and not fiddling with stuff.

How do you guys deploy the SMB? at the bottom, and go up? at safety stop?

Just looking for a better technique on where to deploy it.

Thanks

I cut it loose during my ascent. But please, change your 3 minutes safety stop to a full five minutes.

Don't stop trying. It comes with practice.

Hey all,

Question about where to deploy a SMB...

yesterday on my ascend, I got my smb ready and by the time I'm at safety stop around 20 feet, I started to fill it up and deploy it. Well I concentrated so much on trying to inflate the SMB and get the rope and all, I went through my safety stop (I guess the rope got tight and when I attempted to stand the SMB, it pulled me up) so I didn't do a full 3 min stop.

moral of the story is, for me perhaps deploying an SMB is not the best idea at safety stop (at least for me), and should do it at bottom and just let it go up so I can be at my 15 ft and not fiddling with stuff.

How do you guys deploy the SMB? at the bottom, and go up? at safety stop?

Just looking for a better technique on where to deploy it.

Thanks

I deploy when I'm leaving the bottom. I have mine attached to a spool with plenty of line to shoot from up to 90' of depth. It's easier to get it full the deeper you shoot it and I want the boat to have a reference on where I'm at when I am starting my ascent. I NEVER wait until the safety stop.

I deploy when I'm leaving the bottom. I have mine attached to a spool with plenty of line to shoot from up to 90' of depth. It's easier to get it full the deeper you shoot it and I want the boat to have a reference on where I'm at when I am starting my ascent. I NEVER wait until the safety stop.

Thank you. yeah, I have plenty of line as well from 90. I am usually too busy looking at my computer for ascent and safety stop. adding a step to this was probably not a good idea.

Normally when starting my ascent if I am starting from 30meters/100ft or shallower. If I am deeper, I wait until I am at 25meters or so depending on circumstances.

I cut it loose during my ascent. But please, change your 3 minutes safety stop to a full five minutes.

Don't stop trying. It comes with practice.

Just do what my computer says. I haven't heard of doing it for 5 minutes. this one is new to me.

Just do what my computer says. I haven't heard of doing it for 5 minutes. this one is new to me.
Many computers will show a 5 min SS if you dive to less than 5 min of NDL or below 100’. Shearwater calls that an adaptive safety stop and it’s a feature you can turn on or off.

Even the old PADI tables recommended a five minute safety stop under similar parameters.

Do 5. Some computers have the option to set your safety stop to 3 or 5 minutes. Stay for 5 anyways.

Many computers will show a 5 min SS if you dive to less than 5 min of NDL or below 100’. Shearwater calls that an adaptive safety stop and it’s a feature you can turn on or off.

Even the old PADI tables recommended a five minute safety stop under similar parameters.

That's pretty neat. I am usually heading up when i have 10 mins of NDL left.
Do 5. Some computers you have the option to set your safety stop to 3 or 5 minutes. Stay for 5 anyways.

I just checked mine. doesn't let me change it. I dive w 2 computers, and the other one is an old Tusa IQ700 and pretty sure that doesn't let me change it either. but I will add the 2 extra mins.

I just googled it when it got mentioned here, and looks like it's a debated topic.

Back
Top Bottom