SMB deployment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I posted again after I watched the video... and still didn't get it. My spool was out of reach pretty quickly, and I'm too thick to see why having the double-ender would help. Either it's in my hand (with the spool and line down below) or I let go and the double-ender slides down the line to join the spool. I'm just being stupid, I guess, and am probably missing the bit about having a loop in the line or something.
You drop spool but grab line. Use the double ender as a weight to take the line down while you hand over hand pull spool up. Ince you get the spool you can start winding it up. You're still pulling 200' line but it's not a nest when you're done.

Sorry, I posted again after I watched the video... and still didn't get it. My spool was out of reach pretty quickly, and I'm too thick to see why having the double-ender would help. Either it's in my hand (with the spool and line down below) or I let go and the double-ender slides down the line to join the spool. I'm just being stupid, I guess, and am probably missing the bit about having a loop in the line or something.

EDIT: Now I sort-of get it. the double-ender keeps going down at the same time as the spool, and after the line has run out the double-ender keeps going down and brings the spool back up to your hand. Sounds great, as long as the spool down't weigh more than the double-ender, right?
First, I ensure the line is securely fastened to the reel. Second, if the first double ender is not heavy enough for the reel, I just add my backup light and the reel comes up real fast, then wind it all in.

I tend to shoot my sausage at 30-40', at that depth the gas in sausage will expand to double and fill the sausage on the way to surface. This minimizes the gas I have to offset during shooting. I also find that winding line slows down my ascent which is just a good idea. I have my sausage line marked with sharpie and knot at 15' so I know while winding when to stop and hold for SS.

I agree that surfacing in open water from a safety stop is best done vertically so your visibility of suroundings is much better. My neck does not extend enough to look up when horizontal. You need to look where you are going, always!

ok, got it. I see the point of not having all the line floating around you while you recover the spool and begin rewinding. Thanks!

First, I ensure the line is securely fastened to the reel. Second, if the first double ender is not heavy enough for the reel, I just add my backup light and the reel comes up real fast, then wind it all in.

I tend to shoot my sausage at 30-40', at that depth the gas in sausage will expand to double and fill the sausage on the way to surface. This minimizes the gas I have to offset during shooting. I also find that winding line slows down my ascent which is just a good idea. I have my sausage line marked with sharpie and knot at 15' so I know while winding when to stop and hold for SS.

I agree that surfacing in open water from a safety stop is best done vertically so your visibility of suroundings is much better. My neck does not extend enough to look up when horizontal. You need to look where you are going, always!
Came here to add I think I would use something heavier like a backup light to pull the spool up but ya beat me to it👍🏼

Came here to add I think I would use something heavier like a backup light to pull the spool up but ya beat me to it👍🏼
Or I could attach one of those handy lead weights I keep on my belt to bring the spool up. (j/k for the humor impaired.)

The video would be a lot clearer if it were done in the water, and Guy had actually dropped the spool and shown how to retrieve it. I believe the key is to keep holding onto a section of the line as you let the double ender slide down toward the dropped spool. All the double ender does is keep the line from going completely slack. With less slack in the line, it's easier to start pulling the line up until you've gotten to the spool.
I don’t know if I’m misunderstanding you now, but the double ender should not slide down towards the spool. The spool should be negative (since it dropped from your hands), so no need to add extra weight to it. What you want is for the double ender to weigh down the loose line that you pull up from the spool, so it has to be clipped onto the line on the other side of where you‘re pulling (i.e. closer to the SMB). So it should be:

SMB ——— double ender ——— your hands pulling ——— spool

or the weight gets snagged on the wreck, the current drags you off and you lose everything...? LOL

So how would you do it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom