“Demonstration skills”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from the weighting and the fact that you are teaching those skills incorrectly that way?
If improper weighting would not allow a student to kneel on the bottom, then that would be complete failure on the part of the instructor. Just curious since I'm a retired instructor........does PADI now mandate neutral buoyancy for all OW skills? Is teaching even a single skill on the knees a violation of PADI standards?
So what is the upside of doing it that way?
Just takes a minute and can help to enhance initial confidence..... particularly for full flood and mask R & R. Don't get me wrong. I agree that neutral is best. But the folks who get absolutely militant about it are a$$holes.

If improper weighting would not allow a student to kneel on the bottom, then that would be complete failure on the part of the instructor.
I don't know what you mean. Kneeling students need more weight to stay stable in that position. Heck, I need more weight to do skills when kneeling.
Just curious since I'm a retired instructor........does PADI now mandate neutral buoyancy for all OW skills? Is teaching even a single skill on the knees a violation of PADI standards?
PADI does not mandate it, but it has done what I consider too feeble a job in recommending it. For some skills during the Instructor Exam you cannot get full credit unless it is done neutrally. It is (too) slowly coming. About 5 years ago a major IDC in Utila changed to teach all skills neutrally buoyant.

In a webinar a couple years ago, Mark Powell of SDI/TDI said that SDI/TDI now requires all skills to be taught neutrally buoyant, but I don't know if that is actually true. We have had several threads in which SSI instructors have said they are required to teach neutrally, but I don't believe that is true, either.
Just takes a minute and can help to enhance initial confidence..... particularly for full flood and mask R & R. Don't get me wrong. I agree that neutral is best. But the folks who get absolutely militant about it are a$$holes.
Before the first skills, I had students first swim on the surface with inflated BCDs and then drop air until they were swimming below the surface. After about 5 minutes of neutrally buoyant swimming in the shallow end, during which time I corrected any weight issues, we began class. For all the skills, I had students first lie on the bottom and then add tiny puffs of air until they were rising and falling with their breaths--not too high, because they need to be in horizontal trim, not 45°.Their legs would lightly touch the floor. I had them imitate my breathing to get the proper sense of that.

The key point is that students are far, far more comfortable in this position than they are when kneeling. I know kneeling instructors who have students do the first sessions without fins, because having fins makes it so hard for them to kneel.

Then we would teach the skills.
  • They did the regulator recoveries in the same position they would be in while diving. Leaning to the right while horizontal is completely different from leaning to the right while kneeling. Reaching over the shoulder to find a hose coming from a tank that is lying on your back, with the hose right behind your ear, is completely different from reaching over your shoulder for a hose on a tank that has fallen far away from you because of gravity.
  • Mask skills are done as they are in diving. The diver must tip the head back to make the bottom of the mask the lowest point so the water flows out. For a kneeling diver, the bottom of the mask is already the lowest point, so tipping the head back is counterproductive.
  • In the alternate air source skill, the OOA dive approaches the donor horizontally, with the donor's alternate where it would be on a real dive. For kneeling divers, the two are chest to chest, a position they would never be in on a real dive, with alternates in a different place from where they would be on a real dive.

Some time ago I saw an SSI video showing the confined water alternate air ascent skill. I wanted to show it here, but I couldn't find it, so hopefully they took it down. It illustrates the problem. In the skill, an OOA diver is to signal the problem, get the alternate from the donor, and then ascend to the surface with the donor.

In the video, the two are kneeling side by side, and they complete the exchange side by side. Then comes the ascent, except they are both so heavily weighted that they have to become neutral in order to ascend. The donor can use the inflator, but the OOA diver must inflate orally. In the video, it takes the OOA diver several inhalations through the donated regulator followed by several exhalations into the inflator hose before he is able to ascend.

One of the first rules of performance instruction is to make the practice "gamelike;" if you practice skills differently than they are performed in real life, then students are ingraining bad habits. In real life (and in the same skill practiced during neutrally buoyant instruction), students meet in mid water, make the exchange, and start for the surface. They are already neutrally buoyant.

One of my earliest observations about the problems with traditional instruction came when I was still assisting classes. I noted that all the sessions in the deep end of the pool ended with students kneeling, and in all those sessions, they had to become neutral before ascending. That meant that in every class, we were repeatedly teaching students to inflate their BCDs in order to begin their ascent.

As explained earlier, clearing a mask while kneeling is done differently than while diving.

You are imagining what it must look like when teaching students while they are neutral. You are flat out wrong.
how is it done differently? Press the top rim of the mask blow out through your nose until there’s no water. Move your head as appropriate.

The only thing potentially different is body positioning but that’s going to be situationally dependent.

how is it done differently? Press the top rim of the mask blow out through your nose until there’s no water. Move your head as appropriate.
Students are taught to tip their heads back when they clear the mask. If you do not have the bottom of the mask at the lowest point, water will stay in the mask, trapped at the bottom. With a diver in diving position, it is necessary to tip the head back to make that happen. With a kneeling student, the bottom of the mask is already at the lowest point, so tipping the head back is counterproductive.

@boulderjohn.... I totally get and agree with everything you are saying. My only point is that if a few minutes on the knees can help create some additional confidence before moving to fully neutral.... it's not the total end of the world or blasphemy as some are saying. I think that most all of us old timers that were certified in the 70's or 80's probably spent some time on our knees during OW certification...

And I know for sure that when I am salvaging an anchor or dealing with a 25lb lingcod that I just shot in the head that I spend some time on my knees. If people here have a hard time living with that, then they are 100% free to take the alternative.

My only point is that if a few minutes on the knees can help create some additional confidence before moving to fully neutral....
You seem to have missed the part of what I wrote about how the students are more comfortable in the system I sued than on the knees.

Also, explain to me how it would be "a few minutes." Does the instructor tell students "I am going to grossly overweight you and put you on your knees for a few minutes until you are comfortable. Once you are comfortable, I am going to weight you properly and put in you a position that is very comfortable and more like you will be in while diving."

You (and almost everyone else) keep making the mistake of using your imagination (because you have no experience) to determine that the students must by in some sort of a full on panic at the beginning of the class. They aren't. They are more comfortable in a relaxed, prone position than students are on the knees. I get the message though. You don't believe it. You are assuming I must be lying.

@boulderjohn So, I was a student, not so long ago, and I will say that, while practicing in kneeling position definitely had a lot of issues, I do think it was the only way the class I was in could've worked. We had a couple hours for something like eight students per instructor to run through all the skills, in addition to just like, learning to use the gear and dealing with equipment issues that arose from crappy rental gear (such as O-rings that leaked and a bag weight that was losing BB's with every shift in position). In terms of buoyancy, weighting, and trim, I think even a moderately skilled diver would've been challenged to get neutral under the conditions we were in (shallow water, BCD's with only one location for weights to go and a poor buoyancy profile for trim, relatively large changes in tank weight because we were newbies and burning through air like there was no tomorrow, etc). There simply wasn't time for it with the schedule we had to keep. Now, you might say that means it was a bad course, and I'd agree, but ultimately we got our certifications and, to the best of my knowledge, everyone came out a safe diver, so I'd say it was "bad, but passable."

From there, I kind of agree with @NW Dive Dawg. Like, most of the skills in the course aren't useful to start with. Mask clearing and removal/replacement is something anybody can realistically figure out without a formal instructor, so whether you do it kneeling or in neutral buoyancy, you'll figure it out soon enough in live exercise. Donning/doffing was a useless exercise, because we were using crappy rental BCDs in improper sizes that we would probably never use again, and thus, as I've stated above, my don/doff routine looks very, very different now that I'm diving a different rig with extra gear like a helmet, spikes, and a computer. Also, I'm not even sure if you can doff in neutral? Like, realistically, I remove my gear either on the surface, or (hypothetically), on the bottom because I'm snagged or entangled. Not sure why/how I'd do it while floating. Similarly, I feel reg retrieval was largely useless, as on the occasion in real life I've had my reg get dislodged in the water, itself a rare occurrence, I immediately switch to my octo and retrieve my main reg at my leisure, which, again, usually takes a couple tries, because my IRL dive conditions involve a heavy current and a helmet that, combined, make it hard to reach either the second stage or stem of the regset.

IMO, there are three skills from my open water course that were actually of any use to me. One, don't hold you breath, which I include because it is very dangerous and yet also highly counterintuitive, so good advice. That being said, I didn't learn actual good breathing techniques until I watched a Diver's Ready (or maybe Scuba Magazine) video on the subject. Two, using an octo. Getting in the habit of pressing the purge button, either when donating to another or switching for your own use, can be huge, since inhaling a mouthpiece full of water can be dangerous. Once again, this is a habit that really only became ingrained through later practice and a "well, I'll never do that again" moment a hundred feet down, but I include because it was something we practiced that is actually a solid skill to drill into new divers. Three, using dive tables. Fairly self explanatory. And all three of these skills...can be done either in kneel or in neutral buoyancy.

In all seriousness, maybe everyone else's OW courses were way better, but in mine, most of the skills seemed useless, obvious, or poorly laid out, to the extent that kneeling or floating, it doesn't matter.

Students are taught to tip their heads back when they clear the mask. If you do not have the bottom of the mask at the lowest point, water will stay in the mask, trapped at the bottom. With a diver in diving position, it is necessary to tip the head back to make that happen. With a kneeling student, the bottom of the mask is already at the lowest point, so tipping the head back is counterproductive.
Yes. I know I harp on the "if you have experience in water before taking OW" thing. Having learned on my knees I really didn't have to think about how to clear the mask while horizontal. If my face was in it's normal position while swimming I somehow knew it wouldn't work.

I was taught on my knees in May. The one defense to that approach is that it would take a lot longer for people to get comfortably neutrally buoyant to start doing skills.. Plus, neutral buoyancy as a brand new diver is pretty hard in the first 15 feet(pool depths). Just sayin
One of the great things about open water students is that they have no idea how "hard" something is supposed to be. They think all classes are the same. When I first made the switch, I would weight my students individually after finishing their swim. I got them floating in the shallows horizontally rising and falling with their breath. They were pretty relaxed as it was shallow and they had no idea that it was supposed to be hard.
How much time would it take to teach the students proper buoyancy to avoid the whole class either not popping up to the surface, or not touching the ground? A LONG F'ING TIME. These are Open Water students for pete's sake. What should be mentioned, is that the buoyancy will keep getting better, and not too worry too much about it during this first or second friggin day. Have all of you forgotten how hard those first days were? Maybe some of you are instructors, and can teach decent buoyancy those first few days, enough to have the whole class (the whole class), not bobbing up and down like corks.
Actually it takes far less time. I eliminated corking (and cratering - going the other way) by being a stickler for weighting my students properly in both the pool and open water (in the low 50s). Getting students just comfortable in the water is key. When I switched over to SDI I modified my program a bit and described it here:
Teaching Neutrally Buoyant and Trimmed -

Teaching Neutrally Buoyant and Trimmed: Pt2 - Mask, Snorkel & Fin Skills -

Teaching Neutrally Buoyant and Trimmed: How to weight properly, Part 3 -

This isn't brain surgery, nor is it rocket science. We just have to understand some very basic physics. Unfortunately most instructors will give you a deer in the headlights look if you bring up mitigating the difference between the center of mass and the center of volume/displacement.

At the cost of being severely beaten I learned to clear on a knee in a pool, demonstrated on a knee in the ocean and never felt the need to descend to take a knee and clear my mask on an actual dive. You just get to a position that works and clear it
That's great for you, but not universally true.
So for Northwest diving maybe they should teach all skills neutrally buoyant while blindfolded by a blacked out mask.
I never taught with a blacked out mask, but I did teach in the Puget Sound neutrally buoyant and trimmed
But seriously......what's really the downside of doing the first run through of initial skills in the pool on the knees and then moving to neutral for the rest of the course?
Bad habits get ingrained. Law of Primacy.
@boulderjohn.... I totally get and agree with everything you are saying. My only point is that if a few minutes on the knees can help create some additional confidence before moving to fully neutral.... it's not the total end of the world or blasphemy as some are saying. I think that most all of us old timers that were certified in the 70's or 80's probably spent some time on our knees during OW certification...
It isn't the total end of the world, but building confidence can also be done by doing freediving skills first, various mask clearing skills that reduce the size of the steps in progressive training.

Back
Top Bottom