demands and supplies - titanium backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all,
i'm not exactly sure where to post this but i think this forum is kind of appropriate. my friend's company has tools and materials to make titanium backplates. i'm wondering how many of you are interested in getting one of those? I found that Zeagle makes Ti bp; they go for $360. Also, OMS Ti plate was sold on eBay a while ago for the same amount. if the price is a bit better (within reason), how many of you would be considering getting it? i'm trying to figure out if it's even worth for my friend to manufacture bps.
ideally, i'd like to make a poll but i have no idea how to make one.
in any case, your feedback will be very helpful.

I don't need a titanium backplate, and I can't imagine why anyone else would either.

I don't need one, no-one does.

They'll sell like hotcakes. Sell yours for $400. You won't be able to keep up with the demand.

I'd have one, and really, the reason is quite simple - most of my diving is overseas - and I REALLY hate carrying extra weight in my luggage. if I can save a lbs or 2 on a BP, and replace it with lead in a pocket when I actually need it for the 40 or 50 minutes of my dive - I'll take that option.

This does, of course, assume it's reasonably lighter than an aluminium BP...

z...

Backplates do not need to be very strong.

Sometimes backplates need to be heavy (cold water, buoyant tanks etc.) Stainless steel is ~495 lbs / cuft, and sufficiently corrosion resistant for the task.

Sometimes backplates need to less negative. (Warm water, Fresh water, negative tanks etc.) Aluminum is ~165 lbs / cuft, and thermoplastics are even less dense. Properly executed either material will perform in salt water environments.

Titanium is very strong, and corrosion resistant, but it's not lighter than Aluminum, and cetainly not lighter than plastics. Titanium is about 56% the density of SS, or about 277 lbs / cuft.

What "problem" does Titanium solve? It's not lighter than aluminum or plastic. It's certainly corrosion resistant, but SS and AL and Plastic have proven to be sufficiently corrosion resistant.

IMO titanium is a solution in search of a problem.

Tobin

I want a gold backplate ... that way I wouldn't have to wear any additional lead ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I want a gold backplate ... that way I wouldn't have to wear any additional lead ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But you may need a Lift bag to get yourself back up LOL

Agree with the above - its a solution in search of a problem.

You want a heavy backplate you get steel. You want light weight you get aluminium.
If for some reason you need lighter again you go for plastic.

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well you can either go for a lead backplate or if you are REALLY buoyant, a depleted uranium one :)

I'd ask: what kind of titanium?

In many other sports, titanium is "cool" enough to sell itself. People dig "high-tech" materials. I've no doubt that GFRP backplates would sell too.

Would I buy one? No. Would someone else? No doubt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom