demands and supplies - titanium backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figure for the equivalent volume of a 6 lb. SS plate, the gold plate would weigh 14.4 lbs. Let's see, gold at about 660 USD the oz., 230 ounces, .....$152,000 dollars.

Blackwood:
I'd ask: what kind of titanium?

i'm not sure. the company makes stuff for aerospace insustry. i can check easily. the goal of this post is to see a priori what people think.

Seems like overkill to me. That sort of strength doesn't strike me as an important factor for a bp. If weight is the issue, why not use aluminum? IMHO the price/weight trade-off vs aluminum doesn't make much sense in this case.

However, i agree that your bp's would probably sell. Anything with the word titanium attached to it perks up the ears of certain individuals, regardless of the object in question.

That being said, i would like to hear what other sort of advantages a titanium bp would have over ss or aluminum.

Mikhail Frenkel:
i'm not sure. the company makes stuff for aerospace insustry. i can check easily. the goal of this post is to see a priori what people think.
If you can market Stainless backplates for under $100 you'll get rich quick

I think the main point, that Ti is no lighter than Al, is sufficient to preclude what, in my opinion, would be a viable business venture.

If you just wanted to make them as an avocation, that would be a different matter.

I make plates and custom plates for some lucky few divers :wink: with whom I dive and come in contact. I charge less than the going market price for my plates, but for me it's just more of a hobby and the ability to do something nice for my dive buddies and friends. I don't make a whole lot of money from each plate, I can assure you.

Having said all of the foregone yadda, yadda, yadda, I think one of the primary reasons for the purchase of a Ti plate, albeit the buyer is more than loathe to admit it, is conspicuous consumerism.

I dare say that one could hear, clearly, over the sounds of the two big dive boat diesel engines the proud owner of the Ti backplate announcing the fact that he is diving a " $$$ TITANIUM BACK PLATE $$$ ".

But, here again, that's just my opinion . . .

the K

Hammerhead makes a very nice SS backplate with STA for under $100. I think they are doing OK, but largely because they provide steel fabrication for a lot of things, and do BP's on the side as the owners dive. I don't think anyone is getting rich selling sub $100 BP's.

I'd buy a Titanium BP IF the price was about the same as ALUM. That said, I guess it means I would NOT buy one as Titanium is NOT anywhere close to the cost of Alum.

I'm sure there is a market for Titanium BP's. How big of a market? Well the vast majority of Divers use Jacket or Back Inflate BCD's. The vast majority of BP/W users I would assume are tech, so you have a small percentage of a small market to begin with. So if 5% of the diving market uses a BP/W, what percentage would be willing to purchase an expensive Titanium BP? I can't provide that information, but that is what you need to assess. My guess is that it's very low because as others have pointed out, there is no need for a Titanium BP other than the COOL factor. :eyebrow:

I dive a BP/W because I WANT the weight of the BP/STA. For $400 I can purchase four SS or Alum BP/STA combinations from Hammerhead. IOW's a lifetime supply and then some!

cap_bert:
i would like to hear what other sort of advantages a titanium bp would have over ss or aluminum.

well, it's not the question of advantages vs. disadvantages. it may very well be that from the scuba diving point of view, advantages of Ti, although present, are not that significant (better corrosion resistance, lower maintenance, lighter and stronger than SS). the question is - are there enough people who'd buy the product.

by the way, one can make a superb shovel out of a Ti bp (if scuba days are over). the best ever shovel!!! i'm not kidding

Mikhail Frenkel:
(better corrosion resistance, lower maintenance, lighter and stronger than SS)

Lighter isn't an advantage in a lot of cases. It means you need to wear lead on your belt instead.
Corrosion resistance and maintenance. Dont think it matters either. Ive NEVER seen a plate be it steel or aluminium damaged through corrosion and maintenance just involves hosing it down like the rest of the kit.

As for strength, you dont need that much strength. Even twin 18l with about 6 side slung tanks is more than safely held by a steel plate.

RonFrank:
Hammerhead makes a very nice SS backplate with STA for under $100.

i have their SS bp and like it very much

RonFrank:
I'm sure there is a market for Titanium BP's. How big of a market? Well the vast majority of Divers use Jacket or Back Inflate BCD's. The vast majority of BP/W users I would assume are tech, so you have a small percentage of a small market to begin with. So if 5% of the diving market uses a BP/W, what percentage would be willing to purchase an expensive Titanium BP?

i agree with you. as in Hammerhead case, that could be a small side project if it's worth something, of course.

String:
Lighter isn't an advantage in a lot of cases. It means you need to wear lead on your belt instead.
Corrosion resistance and maintenance. Dont think it matters either. Ive NEVER seen a plate be it steel or aluminium damaged through corrosion and maintenance just involves hosing it down like the rest of the kit.

As for strength, you dont need that much strength. Even twin 18l with about 6 side slung tanks is more than safely held by a steel plate.

as i said, the advantages of Ti are not significant to justify the cost difference, in my opinion. having said that, if money was not an issue i'd buy one for myself for warm water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom