demands and supplies - titanium backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cant actually see any advantage, not even a small one :)

Mikhail Frenkel:
as i said, the advantages of Ti are not significant to justify the cost difference, in my opinion. having said that, if money was not an issue i'd buy one for myself for warm water diving.

So maybe you could start a poll that reads, does cost factor into your scuba equipment purchases. I bet the results will be close to 100% in the "yes it does" category.

Money is ALWAYS an issue. Even most wealthy folks factor in cost vs. benefit.

If breathing was not an issue, I'd stay UW forever! :D

RonFrank:
Money is ALWAYS an issue. Even most wealthy folks factor in cost vs. benefit.

There is a market for current fashion over practicality with some. I've seem some open water divers just qualified that have just been out and bought a VR3 with no clue purely because it was the most expensive and a few other things like that.
However these tend to dive for a few months, get bored then move onto the next hobby so arent a significant part of the market.

RonFrank:
So maybe you could start a poll that reads, does cost factor into your scuba equipment purchases. I bet the results will be close to 100% in the "yes it does" category.

i don't know how to post polls. if you know, please let me know.

also, the way you phrased the question - is a bit tricky. of course everyone will say yes. however, lots of people buy $700 regs, $1200 computers and these are the same people who would answer "yes" to the question you asked. so by the same token, most people would probably say "yes" to "would you buy smth that you want and can afford" question. the questions i want to ask is "would you buy a Ti backplate if it was cheaper than other Ti backplates available today?".

Surely it should be "Why would you pay 5x the price for this titanium backplate vs this aluminium plate"?

It'd be interesting to know how many (if any) Ti plates are sold now.

by the way, one can make a superb shovel out of a Ti bp (if scuba days are over). the best ever shovel!!! i'm not kidding
:rofl3:

I hear what you are saying. As was said above, i think that people would buy a ti bp, if for no other reason than it is made of titanium. Especially with slick marketing (like sb.. hee hee). Seriously though, i think that you could make a marketable product, especially if you have access to machines that can manufacture the things with relative ease. I would shoot for a price range that is in the ball park of the ones currently out there on the market. I wouldn't try to undershoot the price too much so that people don't look at your price and say "there must be something wrong with this if these other ones are so much more expensive." I hope it works out. Keep us posted.

_bert

neil:
I figure for the equivalent volume of a 6 lb. SS plate, the gold plate would weigh 14.4 lbs. Let's see, gold at about 660 USD the oz., 230 ounces, .....$152,000 dollars.

Gold is always sold by the troy ounce. There are 12 troy ounces to a troy pound or 14.583 troy ounces to an avdp. pound. Assuming that you figured the weight of your gold backplate in avdp. pounds, it would weigh about 210 troy ounces. We would not want to cheat anyone; would we?

Halcyon was selling the Stealth BP/W and the only difference I could see was the darker logos. You can buy a Ti dive computer and those aren't cheap either. I agree with a lot of the posts here, do you need one? No, but I'll bet they would sell especially if marketed properly.

captndale:
Gold is always sold by the troy ounce. There are 12 troy ounces to a troy pound or 14.583 troy ounces to an avdp. pound. Assuming that you figured the weight of your gold backplate in avdp. pounds, it would weigh about 210 troy ounces. We would not want to cheat anyone; would we?

Okay, gold is 668.70 right now, times 210 = 140, 427 dollars. You're right, that would have been a huge ripoff. So all those people in Troy, NY use a different weight system?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom