demands and supplies - titanium backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive_lover88:
anyone knows which aluminium series are backplate normally made from?? 2xxx,6xxx or 7xxx series??

from what i know, titanium is gonna burn a very very big hole in your pockets

For marine environs 5000 series, 5052 or 5086 would be my choice. 6061 would also work, with reduced corrosion resistance. 6061 is very commonly available, 5052 a little less so, and 5086 can be harder to find.

6061 is widely used for cylinders and with minimal care is adequately corrosion resistant.

Tobin

It's actually easier to anodize aluminum than titanium...

Mikhail Frenkel:
as i said, the advantages of Ti are not significant to justify the cost difference, in my opinion. having said that, if money was not an issue i'd buy one for myself for warm water diving.

If you had enough money that you bought a Ti backplate instead of an AL one, that would be a clear indication that money WAS an issue - it would obviously mean that you had more money than good sense.

:wink:

The Kraken:
I dare say that one could hear, clearly, over the sounds of the two big dive boat diesel engines the proud owner of the Ti backplate announcing the fact that he is diving a " $$$ TITANIUM BACK PLATE $$$ ".
Not that I'm one to mock other divers gear choices, but I think you'd be able to hear me trying to suppress my derisive snickering just as clearly as if he'd announced he was diving a titanium mask lens or using solid gold weights on his belt. I might even snort juice out my nose, if I happened to be drinking at the time.

If you can use the properties of Titanium to reduce the amount of metal necessary, e.g. produce a skeleton backplate, with the same or greater strength but lighter than aluminium or composite plastics, then you might, just might, have a product worth buying.

Most people diving SS backplates need the weight.

It is us travellers that are looking for a light and compact solution.

To make it really interesting it should be packaged as part of a complete solution. A compact and very light first stage with integrated wireless technology, a travel wing, compact second stage, options for an integrated inflator/ second stage, Titanium multigas dive computer paired with your first stage, custom dive bag with sexy logo (male or female) etc.

Now you can sell a complete package for the travelling scuba diver who has everything else.
:D

RoatanMan:
I don't need one, no-one does.

They'll sell like hotcakes. Sell yours for $400. You won't be able to keep up with the demand.

Hell, put little blue "H"s on it and charge $525!

Back
Top Bottom