DIY Flexible Sidemount Backplate Brainstorming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silly question, but how do you convert a softplate for backmount into a sidemount system?
You don’t, really. Adds faff and loses some adjustability on the SM side, lose the advantages of a hard plate on the BM side. Pirahna sells a pair of SM plates that work pretty well if you’re going the DIY route and there’s a few articles on scubatechPhilippines to aid you.

Here's the Alpha rig it's good if you like softplates with reinforced shoulders and no weight

004.JPG

I put the waist sliding Drings and clips

006.JPG

You slide the cam bands through there

Silly question, but how do you convert a softplate for backmount into a sidemount system? I'm looking to DIY my sidemount kit too, have a lot of webbing already, and I'm looking for a softplate to DIY my backmount kit too. Would be neat to be able to easily switch between backmount and sidemount on only one softplate. The only way I know is adding the OMS Sidemount Adapter.
For some reason, I never quite showed the end-results. I can't take pictures right now, but I dug up some of the best photos I have saved.

Theoretically, I should be able to back-mount with what I ended up with, if you added cam-bands. The (repaired) OTD wing shown does have cam-band slots, it's hard to see in this photo. I could have used book-screws to attach the wing and backplate, but to the paracord works great. I'm not sure if this OTD wing is still available, I had a hard time finding it for sale last time I looked. Perhaps someone else can recommend a wing.

The OMS soft-backplate "adapter" does look like it would as well as the Mares soft backplate.

In terms of having a SM setup with a soft backplate, I love it. It's much nicer than when I did the DIY-plate setup using the Piranha plates. It's still plenty flexible enough for every movement, but is also more supportive and doesn't "bunch up" on me like the DIY-plate setup did.

20220610_140313.jpg

20220610_140436.jpg

20220610_140518.jpg

20220612_164854.jpg

Silly question, but how do you convert a softplate for backmount into a sidemount system? I'm looking to DIY my sidemount kit too, have a lot of webbing already, and I'm looking for a softplate to DIY my backmount kit too. Would be neat to be able to easily switch between backmount and sidemount on only one softplate. The only way I know is adding the OMS Sidemount Adapter.
As far as the practicality of a single BPW that switches between SM and BM, I probably wouldn't recommend it.
  • For a BM setup, a solid-BP provides you a nice sturdy platform that is more responsive, sturdy, and stable.
  • If your BP is too flexible with BM, the tank may "flop" or "swing" around, especially when climbing ladders or dealing with waves. Having 25+lbs on your back swinging around certainly increases back-strain (or injury potential).
  • Adding and removing cam-bands, weights, etc would get annoying over time.
  • You may end up spending more money than 2 setups, and will have reduced options, in order to get this dual-purpose system.
  • You could simply monkey-mount if diving with a single-tank. You might want a couple pounds to offset/balance, or better, a pony-bottle on the opposite side. (I've dove 80cu AL + 19cu many times)
  • If you have 2 systems, and enjoy DIY, you can start optimizing each system for the job.
Overall, I'd just work on building out 2 systems if you think you'll be switching between BM and SM often.

Well wow productive minds think similarly yeah

Grab youself a softplate and start dressing it like a Barbie but different

OxyCheq rectangle grabbed used somewhere make a front pad to cover the lumps and bumps

93 001a (2).jpg

Need weight grab the jigsaw, and some lead and add a sheet or subtract a sheet

95 043a (1).jpg

To put in the lead sack I made not out of lead and those tailor made elongated book screws

96 002a (1).jpg

Then there's amazon for this one, cheap not nasty

009.JPG

clean enough, maybe even too extra streamlined

012.JPG

because I needed somewhere shiny and smooth to clip the other thing I cobbled together to

020.JPG

Is Don is good

Is that brainstorming enough for you dude

@SlugLife excellent comments! the photos are very helpful. So I understand you're saying:
- DIY dedicated BM and SM sets are better than trying to switch back and forth
- soft plate for SM is more comfortable than the metal plates like in Andy Davis' DIY instruction

I dive single AL tank so I'll also stick with soft plate for BM. I'm currently using OMS IQ Lite for BM and really really love it. Didn't like AL BP (most are too big for me, also a bit harder to travel with).

Basically I have to equip two tropical divers for both BM and SM. Both BM kits will be used for teaching on single AL tanks. At least one SM kit will be used to teach SM at some point in the future, and the other SM kit for guiding. All AL tanks and all in open water with minimal weight (2-4kg).
My current thinking is:
1A. As mentioned, I already own one soft plate BM kit (OMS IQ Lite). I can pair it with the OMS adapter to make the guiding SM kit.
OR
1B. Buy a standalone SM wing that work with OMS IQ Lite harness and swap out as needed.
AND
2A. Mares XR soft backplate + single donut wing for second BM kit
3A. Mares XR soft backplate + SM wing for teaching SM
OR
2+3B. Mares XR soft backplate + single donut wing for BM + a low profile Mexican style SM wing to swap when needed for SM fun diving

1A and 1B aren't really all that different in practice, but I think I prefer 1B.
I understand you're saying I shouldn't do 2+3B if we switch between BM and SM a lot. What if we don't and only need SM occasionally, not even for teaching yet, is it feasible to do soft backplate (OMS IQ Lite and Mares XR)+ single donut wing for BM and swap out SM swing for SM fun diving? I use quick released camband so it's not a hassle to take off and put on again. Though the Mares XR soft plate isn't expensive and we can certainly afford two of them, right now we're still traveling and need to save weight + packing space. We can maybe start with 2+3B setup for fun diving now, and switch to 2A and 3A by adding another Mares XR soft plate when we progress to teaching SM.

Is my thinking on the right track?

DIY dedicated BM and SM sets are better than trying to switch back and forth
Correct.
- soft plate for SM is more comfortable than the metal plates like in Andy Davis' DIY instruction
In my experience, yes, and I'll be more specific. The metal back-plates don't dig into the skin or anything. The issue I had, was the SideMount BCD wanted to "bunch up," especially on the surface with an inflated BCD.

I'm currently using OMS IQ Lite for BM and really really love it.
Since you have a BM BCD that you love, keep it for your BM dives. Used BCD's have terrible resale value.

Personally, I haven't dove BM since switching to SM, but keep my BM BPW around in case I need it, such as for a class or loaner.

At least one SM kit will be used to teach SM at some point in the future, and the other SM kit for guiding.
This sub-point may require a separate thread. Maybe you know what you're doing, so this isn't a direct criticism, but rather something I'd say with limited info. I may also be misreading your post a little, so don't take this personally.

If someone told me "There's a local SM instructor and they're offering a course which uses a hybrid or DIY SM BCD," I'd tell them this throws off red-flags and to find another SM instructor. Ideally, when a student leaves your class, they should be able to reliably setup their own SM BCD with ease using off-the-shelf components. SM is frustrating and complex enough, that you should be adding to the complexity by adding a non-standard SM BCD to the mix. The average person does not enjoy, nor are they good at DIY. But if people are paying for classes, I'd strongly recommend against cutting corners, and and treat the SM BCDs as an investment.

Sidemount started out as a sort of DIY community who hacked together a sidemount kit, because commercial solutions were not available, or not as good as DIY. SM divers in many ways had to be a little crazy. These days, off-the-shelf SM BCDs have taken all the lessons from the crazy DIY kit and produced something semi-reliable, stable, and comfortable. There are better-or-worse commercial SM BCDs, but most are better than anything you can DIY hack together in a reasonable time.

The people doing still DIY SM BCDs are generally doing so because either a) they're on a limited budget or b) they REALLY love experimenting! It took me quite a while to get my DIY SM BCD dialed in and comfortable. Everything from choosing the right webbing, or replacing components, parts, etc, I didn't really end up saving that much money (if any), over buying a commercial one with great reviews at lightly-used prices. I learned a lot and really enjoy the DIY process, but an average person probably wouldn't enjoy the same thing.

1A. As mentioned, I already own one soft plate BM kit (OMS IQ Lite). I can pair it with the OMS adapter to make the guiding SM kit.
OR
1B. Buy a standalone SM wing that work with OMS IQ Lite harness and swap out as needed.
AND
2A. Mares XR soft backplate + single donut wing for second BM kit
3A. Mares XR soft backplate + SM wing for teaching SM
OR
2+3B. Mares XR soft backplate + single donut wing for BM + a low profile Mexican style SM wing to swap when needed for SM fun diving
The Mares XR worked for me, but I also sewed on extra triglides. I saved a few $$$ over the OMS adapter, but the OMS adapter honestly looks better.

If you're going with one of the above, I'd suggest 1A or 1B.

Hey mate can I buy your remaining blue webbing, also your bag stitcher

Cash

US Dollars

Will you accept gold

Diamonds are a girls best friend

If someone told me "There's a local SM instructor and they're offering a course which uses a hybrid or DIY SM BCD," I'd tell them this throws off red-flags and to find another SM instructor.
Totally agree with you that instructors MUST have proper kits. I guess I mistakenly thought the Andy Davis approach to be equivalent to BPW & continuous webbing for BM, which I consider to be 100% kosher and appropriate for teaching, if not beginners then at least for further education. I wouldn't hesitate to take a BM course from an instructor in BPW+continuous webbing. I didn't realize it's not the same for SM.

Ideally, when a student leaves your class, they should be able to reliably setup their own SM BCD with ease using off-the-shelf components. SM is frustrating and complex enough, that you should be adding to the complexity by adding a non-standard SM BCD to the mix. The average person does not enjoy, nor are they good at DIY. But if people are paying for classes, I'd strongly recommend against cutting corners, and and treat the SM BCDs as an investment.
So my guess is for now we can do something like your setup/my 1A or 1B solutions for fun SM diving to gain more experience. Then buy off-the-shelf kits for teaching in the future. Makes sense. I think I prefer getting a softplate-compatible SM-specific wing than slapping on the OMS adapter, but like you said either should do.

The people doing still DIY SM BCDs are generally doing so because either a) they're on a limited budget or b) they REALLY love experimenting!
That's me! I used to be VERY apprehensive about DIY scuba stuff, then I switched to soft plate & wing with the deluxe harness, and I started tinkling with my kit bit by bit, and I got completely hooked! Really enjoy the DIY process and always love how surprisingly nice it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom