DIY Flexible Sidemount Backplate Brainstorming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a SM instructor. Though I'll say I'm a massive fan of SideMounting.com videos. His main side-mount videos are behind a paywall, but it's honestly REALLY good content, easy to watch, engaging, etc. (Compared to PADI/SSI/etc videos which are really boring)
I guess I mistakenly thought the Andy Davis approach to be equivalent to BPW & continuous webbing for BM, which I consider to be 100% kosher and appropriate for teaching
I'm not familiar with Andy Davis. If you do have a "proper kit" then feel free to disregard my critique of a potential straw-man. It's a little hard for me to precisely visualize the final kit, but I was somewhat visualizing someone following in my DIY footsteps. I do agree that things like one-piece harnesses don't require a commercial solution. It's mostly just webbing and hardware, and you'll probably want to adjust it anyway.

For webbing, the main thing to be aware of is you'll want slightly stiffer or thicker webbing. I made the mistake of using "soft" webbing for a while.
if not beginners then at least for further education.
I'd separate the two.
  1. Someone with no SM experience should ideally have no SM BCD yet. They may decide they don't like SM, or they might spend money on a SM BCD that is not appropriate to them. Once they try out the loaner-kit in your class, from there they can be a more informed buyer, and better spend their money.
  2. Once someone has SM experience and is looking to further SM education, they'll almost certainly own a SM BCD, and not need a loaner. There's almost no way to dive SM or get SM experience, without owning a SM BCD, as I'm sure rental SM BCDs are exceedingly rare.
    1. The exception might be a SM diver on vacation, which I think I've heard of Scuba-divers vacationing in Indonesia. So, they have their own BCD, but didn't bring it.
I used to be VERY apprehensive about DIY scuba stuff, then I switched to soft plate & wing with the deluxe harness
Right. You can even add pads to any existing harness for about $20. You can see the pads I added in the photos above, they're black and under the shoulder-straps.

I am not a SM instructor. Though I'll say I'm a massive fan of SideMounting.com videos. His main side-mount videos are behind a paywall, but it's honestly REALLY good content, easy to watch, engaging, etc. (Compared to PADI/SSI/etc videos which are really boring)

I'm not familiar with Andy Davis.
SideMounting.com looks great but but the videos don't seem to work anymore? I'll check again with better internet tomorrow.

Andy Davis is Scuba Tech PH. I was gonna follow his instruction here: How To Build Your Own DIY Custom Sidemount Harness. But I don't really like the metal plates and would like to try your idea of softplate instead. If it doesn't work the softplate can be for the dedicated BM rig.
I'd separate the two.
  1. Someone with no SM experience should ideally have no SM BCD yet. They may decide they don't like SM, or they might spend money on a SM BCD that is not appropriate to them. Once they try out the loaner-kit in your class, from there they can be a more informed buyer, and better spend their money.
  2. Once someone has SM experience and is looking to further SM education, they'll almost certainly own a SM BCD, and not need a loaner. There's almost no way to dive SM or get SM experience, without owning a SM BCD, as I'm sure rental SM BCDs are exceedingly rare.
    1. The exception might be a SM diver on vacation, which I think I've heard of Scuba-divers vacationing in Indonesia. So, they have their own BCD, but didn't bring it.
We live and work around Southeast Asia, only vacation SM divers tbh. I imagine eventually working for a tecrec dive shop with rental SM kits for students. And/or going independent with SM teaching. I guess the steps are like this:
Step 0: get my buddy Tech SM certed (I already have TDI Tech SM) --> use Instructor's kit
Step 1: SM fun diving to gain more experience with kit --> converted/DIY kits based on current soft BM kits
Step 2: get trained as SM Inst --> own DIY kits - will see if soft plate still works or maybe switch to metal plates
Step 3: guide and teach at tecrec dive shop --> own DIY kits and/or shop's rentals
Step 4: teach SM independently --> own at least 02 off-the-shelf kits plus 02 DIY kits
Will take many years and I'll undoubtedly change my mind many times til then. But I guess this is a good start to think about the journey ahead.

If you don't like the plates for whatever reason stitch the webbing together without the plates

Are y'all diving or making a DeMille production

You can cobble a sidemount rig with little modification from any BC

A couple of clips some bungee a couple of bottles whatever you have and go diving

Just get in there and go diving boys and enjoy the fruits of your thoughts before time takes final charge

Just going to a random free one, I was able to watch it without signing in. I also switched my VPN to Indonesia, and was able to play the video though I did get a captcha challenge the 2nd time. Make sure you don't have any script-blockers enabled, try another browser, or try a private-window.

I'm not an instructor, so I probably can't offer much feedback, but I hope the SM instruction works out for you.

I think the soft backplate and some DIY should work nicely, since you're not quite yet instructing. I almost forgot to mention this: I paired mine with a Hollis SMS100 Weight Plate that I found for $30 on ebay. You can get something that looks almost identical from aliexpress for about $30 (I didn't look closely at reviews or seller-ratings)

Here you go, check this one beauty out

323413483_1181134965880846_1126269118120357446_n.jpg

Soft plates like the steel ones but not the steel ones with an added weight thing

the love continues

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom