DEET? We don need no steenkin DEET....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had heard they were thick right now, as usual for this time of year. We have a couple bottles of Deet packed.

I'm home from the hospital. I thought the 3:45 layover at DFW was bad, but that was NOTHING compared to the 5 day layover at the hospital. :)

They've been working on a dengue vaccine for a long time. Still nothing. :(

CV, I would have though the rum would sterilize your innards, making you immune to any GI bugs...

I plan to spend my convalescent time making plans for our next couple trips.

I used to apply DEET but in the past couple of years changed over to Natrapel(which is a 20% Picaridin). A friend of mine who is an MD with the WHO brought these wipes an a trip to Roatan. No odor and not a single mosquito or sand flea bite. The individual wipes are easy to pack in pockets to use during surface intervals etc.

So glad you are feeling better. Even though you are out of the hospital, I can imagine it will take a while to feel back to 100%. Great to hear that you are not soured on the idea of travel:wink:

Repellents containing DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) are undoubtedly the only really effective bug repellents available, but be careful with products that have a very high percentage of DEET as the main ingredient. It melts many plastics and paints (like a car's clear-coat) and it is easily transferred from your skin to something you pick up in your hand or brush up against. Products containing just 15% DEET seem to work as well those 95% ones do and they usually cost less.

Repellents containing DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) are undoubtedly the only really effective bug repellents available, but be careful with products that have a very high percentage of DEET as the main ingredient. It melts many plastics and paints (like a car's clear-coat) and it is easily transferred from your skin to something you pick up in your hand or brush up against. Products containing just 15% DEET seem to work as well those 95% ones do and they usually cost less.
That may be! After having Hemorrhagic Dengue and hospitalized, a little overkill on the deet seemed to be a good idea!

CV, I would have though the rum would sterilize your innards, making you immune to any GI bugs....

You would think so wouldn't you? I tried to drown them in Tequila. I thought they would pass out and, well, pass out.

That may be! After having Hemorrhagic Dengue and hospitalized, a little overkill on the deet seemed to be a good idea!

I have some 95. Felt like battery acid! However, if I were you I would probably figure out how to wear a dispenser that constantly sprayed me with 95!

I did bring someone some wipes and stole a few. They work really nicely, I have to admit. And the Mrs. doesn't complain like when I hand her a gallon of deet for her purse.... :)

Here is trick for crazed headlight lens on your car, carefully spray them with high concentrate Deet and then clean it off a 1/2 to 3/4 minute later. It will melt the micro pits to an even finish, do not leave it on to long.
Last year I went to Roatan and armed myself with a couple bottles of 100% Deet, I started to get skin rashes by the end of the week (and it really sucks in your eyes) but I did not get a single bite!!! I believe the persons in the general vicinity got protected also, kinda like contact high. Since then I have become sensitive to any thing greater than 20%, now I use the Mexican 'Family Off' and I don't get bit or get a chemical burn from it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom