DEET? We don need no steenkin DEET....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a reminder to folks not to forget the bug spray.
We headed home on the 7th. By the time we got to DFW, Kim and I were feeling a bit bleh. Not too bad, probably just travel. You know how it is.
By the time we got to Denver, I was hating life.
I was admitted for sepsis, with a pulse of 140, BP of 80/50 and a temp that topped out at 104.5. Once all the titres were finished...
Guess who has dengue fever and two thumbs?
We're normally pretty careful about bug spray, but in hind sight we had been less than perfect in spraying this trip.
Obviously I'm much better now.
If you've never had this... trust me. You do NOT want to.

I got hit with dengue 2011 in Bonaire , it is the worst .
Sounds like you recovered quickly , very lucky
It changes your attitude towards mosquitos , they are very dangerous critters

Regular old 'REALLY sucks' dengue or the 'I am seriously trying to kill you' hemorrhagic?

I hear they are BOTH terrible. Get better soon!

Good advice I have several friends on the island who have had it since midsummer. I try to use OFF mutlple times a day starting when I first rise to just before I go to bed.

From the WHO website:"The Aedes aegypti mosquito is the primary vector of dengue. The virus is transmitted to humans through the bites of infected female mosquitoes. After virus incubation for 4–10 days, an infected mosquito is capable of transmitting the virus for the rest of its life.Infected humans are the main carriers and multipliers of the virus, serving as a source of the virus for uninfected mosquitoes. Patients who are already infected with the dengue virus can transmit the infection (for 4–5 days; maximum 12) via Aedes mosquitoes after their first symptoms appear.The Aedes aegypti mosquito lives in urban habitats and breeds mostly in man-made containers. Unlike other mosquitoes Ae. aegypti is a day-time feeder; its peak biting periods are early in the morning and in the evening before dusk. Female Ae. aegypti bites multiple people during each feeding period."

The little Aedes SOB is a sneaking one. Killed one in our elevator in Sept. Scared me a little. You have to watch them as they are the sneaky ones that don't like wind and hide under tables, in the shower or .... elevators....

And on another bright note, that Chicken-dengue like disease is also present in Cozumel now. Yea.....

Regular old 'REALLY sucks' dengue or the 'I am seriously trying to kill you' hemorrhagic?

I hear they are BOTH terrible. Get better soon!

There is some bleeding in my gut, but not the "melt your bowel" bleeding. The tachycardia and hypotension were more dangerous.
Still not sure when I'll actually finish this really long trip home.
But it won't stop me from heading south as often as possible.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Thank you for sharing your experience. How terrible and frightening. Your vital signs look like you were entering septic shock. Fortunately it sounds like your kidneys were not affected. Besides hydration and pain management, was there any other treatment given? I appreciate your warning. If I am not getting chewed up, I tend to get somewhat cavalier with insect repellent. I definitely need to be more vigilant. Get better soon.

Thank you for sharing your experience. How terrible and frightening. Your vital signs look like you were entering septic shock. Fortunately it sounds like your kidneys were not affected. Besides hydration and pain management, was there any other treatment given? I appreciate your warning. If I am not getting chewed up, I tend to get somewhat cavalier with insect repellent. I definitely need to be more vigilant. Get better soon.

Yes, I was septic. I wasn't quite into ARF, but close enough. Renal function is back to normal today, but there's certainly marrow suppression, with WBCs at 2 and plt at 60.

We did levaquin and flagyl, just to cover, and fluids. Mag, K+, and phos all had to be replaced.
Antipyretics. I will not take narcs. They don't affect my pain at all. They just make me sedated.
It's viral, so it's really all just supportive stuff.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Wow, really sorry to hear this happened to you DD. Hope you at least had a nice vacation prior to coming down with it. Thanks for the warning on the mosquito bites. I know that we will certainly be more careful for the rest of our trip. Before coming down, I bought some Repel wipes that come in a nice flat carry pouch. Pretty handy and they are 30% DEET. Seem to work really well. Get well soon!

We've decided that the likely reason I ended up septic is because I've got two infections. I've got campylobacter Juni in my stool (food born). Between the two of them, my immune system took a beating.
Happy that we started levaquin without waiting for results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom