Deep Dixie Diver Mega Trip to Key Largo WHEN Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denisegg:
That's ok..RocketMan will volunteer to be the bait...anything to get out of work:D
Why do I carry a knife when I dive? So I can slash my buddy and swim away when I see a shark.

RocketMan:
Why do I carry a knife when I dive? So I can slash my buddy and swim away when I see a shark.

So that's the reason Mike is your buddy huh....I didn't know..I just thought it was because you two work together:D

Ok people ,lets get back to planning this trip.I like the idea of the liveaboard but I think we need to explore some other boats.I also like the resort idea in Largo because of the option of going out and eating out. Now driving down the coast and camping I cant do. Why dont we talk to some of our south florida SB friends and get the top 3 boats within our budget and a few options on resorts. I havent dove Largo so I dont know any. I also havent done the boat thing either but it also sounds like a good time and wouldnt have to worry about the food and such. I guess we need to see what everyone's budget is to make a decision. Mine would probably be around 1200$ to 1400$ for both us just off the top of my head.

Just thinking out loud... but making the trip a multi-day stay in say, key largo could also enable us to get group discounts on lodging and charters too. May be alot cheaper than doing a gulf coast marathon.

Mine would probably be around 1200$ to 1400$ for both us just off the top of my head.

You may be surprised!!!!!!!!!

When I head out for the local, i.e. Indian Pass I budget at least $500.00 for 4 days, Other areas, i.e. keys, $1,000.00.

This is camping, bringing my own food, boat, air, etc.

You may spend $400.00 a day in the keys otherwise.
Camp sites off season around $40 day, Gas down and back about $250.00 + food on the road, Motels, $80 - $120, Boats around $80. Some advertised cheaper,..good luck getting on them. Air fills $30 day, some boats supply, they charge more. Eating out $80 day, unless Burger King, then only about $30.

Daily, Motel, $80, two boat trips a day, $120, Food , eating out $80, Air $30, Gas down per day $70, misc $50 = $430.00

Hit two ramps yesterday, rain, lost cooler on 331 bridge.

Perhaps this P.M. try for some SheepHead.

Probably put Crystal off until next week, weather will pick up.

Plan on Cypress and Blue this weekend.

If your up for it Brandy, I have an extra Canoe.

If your drining,..you may need to add another $200.00 six packs in areas like thak can run $8 - $10, drinks with dinner or in a bar $5 plus.

Then another $200 for tips,..unless you are one of those that don't tip. I have been on boats, when the divemaster has jumped overboard to save someone,..and not even received a tip. When the hat was passed, people put in $1-$3 or the big spenders $5, on a $80 charter that is only 5% for someone looking out for your life. They spent three times that at breakfast.

Two years later, they will be remembered,..that same divemaster will throw a ring in the water for you,..then after recalling all divers,..go look for you.

ScubaKris:
If your drining,..you may need to add another $200.00 six packs in areas like thak can run $8 - $10, drinks with dinner or in a bar $5 plus.

Then another $200 for tips,..unless you are one of those that don't tip. I have been on boats, when the divemaster has jumped overboard to save someone,..and not even received a tip. When the hat was passed, people put in $1-$3 or the big spenders $5, on a $80 charter that is only 5% for someone looking out for your life. They spent three times that at breakfast.

Two years later, they will be remembered,..that same divemaster will throw a ring in the water for you,..then after recalling all divers,..go look for you.

Not to contradict you, i agree that you should tip the captain fairly, but a good captain will jump in the water to save a life, not expecting to receive a tip for it. If the determining factor in what kind of service you get out of your captain is how well you tip, then it is not a good captain at all.

I'll be staying on a Liveaboard in the keys this July.

In my opinion, it's cheaper to do it that way once you add up your hotel, food, rental car, air fills, and charter boat fees. Plus you get about 5 dives per day instead of 2.

mike_s:
I'll be staying on a Liveaboard in the keys this July.

In my opinion, it's cheaper to do it that way once you add up your hotel, food, rental car, air fills, and charter boat fees. Plus you get about 5 dives per day instead of 2.

What is the name of the liveaboard?

philmottrek99and02:
What is the name of the liveaboard?

it's the Gulf Stream Eagle trip that Phil has booked.

Of course this is a full week trip also and includes the Tortugas and the Marquesas, which you won't do on most other trips.

Back
Top Bottom