Deep Dixie Diver Mega Trip to Key Largo WHEN Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice boat? I wouldn't call it 'nice' but it's ok. It serves the purpose....

It's a 'bunk house' boat. You bring your own sheets and pillows also.

Diving is top notch though.

Only time the diving would be bad is if you were a diver wanting reefs who got booked on a spearfishing trip, which has happened several times on this boat.

As the Ultimate Getaway is sold out, there are other choices of boats that do liveaboads out of Florida. BTW.... the UG is mostly booked by clubs and dive shops who charter the whole book and sell it to their members/customers.

mike_s:
Nice boat? I wouldn't call it 'nice' but it's ok. It serves the purpose....

It's a 'bunk house' boat. You bring your own sheets and pillows also.

Diving is top notch though.

Only time the diving would be bad is if you were a diver wanting reefs who got booked on a spearfishing trip, which has happened several times on this boat.

caveat emptor

philmottrek99and02:
caveat emptor

Very true. Especially with this boat.

The captain can be quite a jerk. For the really negative stories about this boat, check out www.spearboard.com and to a search for the boat name.

We were booked on the boat last year and the captain screwed us over by canceling our reservation because he was pissed at someone who he thought might be going and other politics. He finally agreed to give us the reservation back, but with 5 less slots as he's already sold them to someone else.

As for the divers who went on spearfishing trips, there are numerous report of divers who were told they were booking a trip in the Tortugas park only to get on the boat and see half the rest of the divers getting ready their spear guns, which aren't allowed in the park. When they asked the captain, he said, that oh yeah... we turned this into a spearfishing trip. Yet he never told the other paying divers.

The only way to go on this boat is to book it through a shop that has control of the trip and time schedule.

Thanks for the heads up! Even if you are tent camping. Dawn from Cristal owes me an email with additional information.

You may find that camp sites are hard to find. Even if you find camp sites, boats are tough. That is why we take boats and compresors. I have two compressors, one on a small trailer and another I can take on the boat. It's tough to get tanks back and forth to the dive shops for filling.. Better to let them fill on the boat and in the evening around the camp fire.

I had an email last week from adive operator in the keys. He stated that camp grounds and RV parks are becoming fewer,..giving way and selling out to condo developers.

I was going to hit the bay today. Had to finish up a job on the bay. It looked great. Tides are at about noon. I would like to dive the jetties in the morning. I won't be able to . I need to check crab traps in the bay, then do a little fishing. I should have next weeks jobs wrapped up by Tuesday. If anyone wants to do a jetty dive during the week.

Plan to hit Crystal next month for a manatee dive. I hav a couple of great shots of manatees. The campgrounds in the area are great. The end of March should be good for offshore diving in the gulf. March is about the earliest the keys will be good. I probably won't start hitting them until June.

Next week I plan on Blue and the jetties

If I get everything cone by Tuesday,..I may hook the boat up to the scubamobile and head to crystal river for a few days. Do some diving with the Manateee, some fishing and camping. Weather should be in the 60's- 70's

Crywtal river is only about 280 miles from here, 6 hours.

Can always get one more,...very slow swimmer on board. just in case we run into bulls or gators.

Probably do some Suncoast key exploring

http://www.manatee-central.com/divemap.html

ScubaKris:
Can always get one more,...very slow swimmer on board. just in case we run into bulls or gators.

I believe I saw Mike's hand go up....not only does he love cold water...but he could argue his way free from any confrontation with a gator or bull shark:D

And Kris, I heard you volunteered to row the yacht on this trip:D

And that is why I lost weight.... so I WOULD'NT be the slowest swimmer...... or the most appetizing looking meal.

DawgDiver:
And that is why I lost weight.... so I WOULD'NT be the slowest swimmer...... or the most appetizing looking meal.

That's ok..RocketMan will volunteer to be the bait...anything to get out of work:D

Back
Top Bottom