Deep Dixie Diver Mega Trip to Key Largo WHEN Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankc420:
At this point I'm curious to know what your plans are when you get to the keys?

I can't speak for everyone else, but the boats I have been out on usually do the wreck dives in the mornings followed by a shallow reef dive for your two tank dive. You do have to be AOW certified in the Keys to do the wreck dives. They require proof. They also have morning and afternoon shallow reef dives that only require OW certification. I want to probably do 3 or 4 boat dives between Friday night and Monday morning. I want to dive the Spiegel Grove, the Duane and some reef dives. The Christ of the Deep statute is awesome. It would be on one of the reef dives. There are plenty dive charters going out. We wouldn't all have to dive every dive together. We can split it up based on who wants to do what and what level you are at.

We are driving down. Looking at possibly departing Thursday evening and taking our leisure time getting back! HS graduation is the 24th and it is also the last day of school as well. We might drive as far as we can Thursday night, then pick up in the morning (early).

Howard

Im not going to be able to do any wreck dives because of Kayla being with me so I imagine were going to have to split up.

OK the when has been determined - Memorial Day Weekend. How you get there is your own business. Where we are staying and how bunking will be orchestrated is also under discussion.

We got 2 classes of dives planned Basic and Advanced. For Advanced, you will be required to show your cert card. Advanced as I know it are the wreck dive to the SG and other wrecks. Reef dives mostly at 30 fsw will require basic cert. We essentially will dive all day Sat with a group dinner Sat night. Dive Sunday with the option of a night dive. Monday dives will probably be limited to the morning for those flying and all day for those not.

I need to know what days you want to dive and what types of dives you want to do, basic or advanced. I'll capture the information and start contacting dive shops. I'll consider the Cristal dive as an option, but they have not gotten back to me yet on their availability.

Howard

ps, we will discuss payment options later. Plan on sending me deposit money via PayPal with the planning information and refund schedule. I am not in this to make a penny, I am doing this for you. The ugly part about it is, the dive ops will want a single payment and with 2 in college, I can't afford to float anyone a loan. Capice?

http://www.oceandivers.com/

I just got off the phone with Ocean Divers in Key Largo. They still have availability for Memorial Day Weekend. I used them also and was very pleased with their service. The Florida Keys Dive Center I linked to earlier is sold out for Memorial Day Weekend so they are a no go.
Ocean Divers sounds like the perfect solution for us. They accomodate groups with different certification levels by using 2 boats at one time. In the morning, they split the group between AOW and they go out on the wreck dive boat and the OW group goes out on the shallow reef boat. Then in the afternoon, everyone can go out together on reef dives. They also have a night dive available Saturday night. For a group of 9, their cost per boat trip(2 tank dive) is $60.00(inc tanks & weights). This is also the price for the wreck and night dives which are normally higher but we would get the group price on these as well. IF two more go and you have 11, two divers are free per dive. (We could sort this out..it would make the dives even cheaper per person..$49.00) The Marina Del Mar Resort is right by the shop on the marina and the rooms are $189.95 per night plus tax. They will put a cot in the room for additional $20.00. per night.(3 people in a room, 3 beds) The Resort, dive shop and 2 dive boats are all right there together on the marina, no traveling back and forth necessary, within walking distance.
She said we would need to let them know as soon as possible because of the room availability during holiday weekend...so we need comittments..you do have to make a deposit to secure your space.

Hey Mike, let me know if you decide you want to go. I will be back in Huntsville by then, and if I could find someone who wants to split some gas and driving I might be in on this.

utdivermatt:
Hey Mike, let me know if you decide you want to go. I will be back in Huntsville by then, and if I could find someone who wants to split some gas and driving I might be in on this.

2nd thoughts has me noticing this is a "long weekend" trip and not a week long trip and maybe I can squeeze it in. (no guarentee's though).

However, Philmonttrek will most likely be leaving from here also, so there are definate car-pool possibilities for this trip (even if I don't go).

mike_s:
2nd thoughts has me noticing this is a "long weekend" trip and not a week long trip and maybe I can squeeze it in. (no guarentee's though).

However, Philmonttrek will most likely be leaving from here also, so there are definate car-pool possibilities for this trip (even if I don't go).

Raceway Gas in Priceville, I'll slow down long enough to let someone jump in. Mike I am not pushing your car any further than Bham!

philmottrek99and02:
I have some preliminary numbers from Horizon Dive in Key Largo. I have used them before and were happy with their service. The numbers go as follows: If we have a group of 6 or more, rides on the big boat, Cheeca View, go for $56 a person ($52 if you bring your own booted tank). They also have plenty of space right now on Cheeca View. There is a 6 pack boat that goes for $450 for the half day. Group organizer pays the bill.
The Ramada Limited is right next to the Dive Shop (and other dive places). Rates at the Ramada & due to it being the holiday weekend, are going to be $189.95 for the 26th, & $169.95 for the 27th & 28th. They are not full yet.

Lets do some comparisons here. (See post #115 for Ocean Divers) The price per dive and the room rates for Horizon Dive and Ocean Divers are about the same if you use Horizon Dive's big boat the Cheeca View. But if we want to split off and some go on a wreck dive while others do reef dives, what are they going to charge for doing that, and are they willing to take both boats out at the same time to accomodate the two different levels? (Ocean Divers is willing to take both of their boats out at the same time at no additional charge per dive) What is Horizon's schedule? (Ocean divers has am & pm dives Sat & Sun and night dive on Sat night available to us) Also, what is Horizon's dive sites? Ocean Divers goes to all the major reefs in the area and to the two most popular wrecks; Spiegel Grove and Duane.

This is your homework Howard....I have done mine:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom