Deep 6 Eddy Fins - from Mares Avanti Quattro+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a set of eddy's so far very limited pool use but I like them.

I haven't used my DiveRites since I got my Eddys. Wetsuits, various thicknesss.

I have Mares Avanti fins, the DS Eddy Fin (5 pounds weight) and the SP Go-Sports (3.5 pounds weight). My new favorite fin for tropical/travel diving is the SP Go-Sport. Is the same overall size as the Eddy, the foot pocket is better IMO and it is lighter by 1.5 pounds per set, actually floats too! Power of the Go-Sport is on par with the Eddy, the Go-Sport little bit softer in the middle of the blade and not quite as much snap on the tip but I think the pre-angled blade somehow makes up for it. The Avanti fins are longer and heavier at 4.5 pounds and just do not pack as well but otherwise will remain my fin of choice when I know I will be dealing with current as it is superior to the Eddy and the Go-Sport in that regard.

I used my Eddy Fins size L and my SP Go-Sports also size L back to back in Bonaire this past week. I am not selling my Eddy Fins but the Go-Sports currently get the nod, they will be in my bag, alone, come Cozumel in a few weeks.

One of my dive buddies has the orange Deep Six Eddy Fins in size M. I note that at depth the orange becomes a brown color. But since I know they are orange, I see them as orange, my camera does not know that so when at beyond flash range, they are seen as brown.

James

I have Mares Avanti fins, the DS Eddy Fin and the SP Go-Sports. My new favorite fin for tropical/travel diving is the SP Go-Sport. Is the same overall size as the Eddy, the foot pocket is better IMO and it is lighter, actually floats too! Power of the Go-Sport is on par with the Eddy, the Go-Sport little bit softer in the middle of the blade and not quite as much snap on the tip but I think the pre-angled blade somehow makes up for it. The Avanti fins are longer and just do not pack as well but otherwise will remain my fin of choice when I know I will be dealing with current as it is superior to the Eddy and the Go-Sport in that regard.

I used my Eddy Fins size L and my SP Go-Sports also size L back to back in Bonaire this past week. I am not selling my Eddy Fins but the Go-Sports currently get the nod, they will be in my bag, alone, come Cozumel in a few weeks.

One of my dive buddies has the orange Deep Six Eddy Fins in size M. I note that at depth the orange becomes a brown color. Bit since I know they are orange, I see them as orange, my camera does not know that so when at beyond flash range, they are seen as brown.

James

So far just got the eddy's in the pool. I'll try them in the ocean tommorow.

I have the exact opposite. I find the eddy's foot pocket more comfortable and more power in the flutter. The frog is very impressive, helicopter not as easy but that is likely me getting used to them. I did successful back kick in the eddy's, seemed on part with the go sports.

YMMV

The Eddys push me along just fine with 2 x steel LP85s and an AL40 deco bottle in a drysuit with thick undies sidemount. They’re just fine for helicopter. I can do a bit of back kick, but that’s me, not the fins.

So far just got the eddy's in the pool. I'll try them in the ocean tommorow.

I have the exact opposite. I find the eddy's foot pocket more comfortable and more power in the flutter. The frog is very impressive, helicopter not as easy but that is likely me getting used to them. I did successful back kick in the eddy's, seemed on part with the go sports.

YMMV
We are all different. I dive with a camera and must maneuver completely with my fins, backing up, turning, flutter, frog, kicks that have no name, lol! I find them to be roughly equal. I did some swimming laps with the Go-Sports in the pool, no SCUBA gear, and I was afraid they might be too soft. It was not until I used the Go-Sports back to back with the Eddy Fins on the same dives and on the same day that I came to my conclusion that the SP Go-Sports are on par with the Eddy Fin for all kicks and all maneuvering. Plus there is a 1.5 pounds reduction in weight for travel with the Go-Sport.

But, again, we are all different. Odd, but I thought the Eddy better at frog and the Go-Sport better at flutter :wink:. The good news is that both are winners in my account.

James

We are all different. I dive with a camera and must maneuver completely with my fins, backing up, turning, flutter, frog, kicks that have no name, lol! I find them to be roughly equal. I did some swimming laps with the Go-Sports in the pool, no SCUBA gear, and I was afraid they might be too soft. It was not until I used the Go-Sports back to back with the Eddy Fins on the same dives and on the same day that I came to my conclusion that the SP Go-Sports are on par with the Eddy Fin for all kicks and all maneuvering. Plus there is a 1.5 pounds reduction in weight for travel with the Go-Sport.

But, again, we are all different. Odd, but I thought the Eddy better at frog and the Go-Sport better at flutter :wink:. The good news is that both are winners in my account.

James

Very true I also have found for wetsuit the go sports were a little to floaty. I don't want heavy like my drysuit but that little extra weight seems to help so far. I'm looking forward to trying them a little in OW tommorow. If one fin was perfect for everyone there would only be one fin.

I'll try and update as I get more experience with the eddy's. I also like the strap on the eddy's better.

Aside from the issues already mentioned, the Eddy fins have a superior strap attachment in that it's held by bolts to the fins. The Mares fins have the pesky plastic posts that rely on friction to stay on and I've had the straps come off the fins during shore entries and exits in surf, and it's very frustrating.

Is there a difference between the Eddy fins versus their flippers? Pics on the website look the same.

Is there a difference between the Eddy fins versus their flippers? Pics on the website look the same.
No, some people call fins as flippers. The product is the same other than color variations, be they a flipper or a fin :wink:.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom