Decompression chamber treatment cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In over 50 years of diving I've never (cross my fingers) had to take a chamber ride... but I wouldn't be without a DAN plan at at least the Master level.

As I said in the initial post...
It is about time to renew my DAN Dive accident insurance and after looking at the plans I wondered if someone could give me a ballpark figure of what it would cost for treatment follows incurring DCS. .... I am currently covered at the Master level but was eyeballing Preferred which provides a much higher benefit.
I am covered at the Master level and was just wondering if it sufficient or if I should move up to preferred. Based on the actual figures I see here I guess if you are going to have it at all, the extra 35/yr for 250K/occurrence vs. 125K lifetime is kinda negligible.

The question sounds more to me that the poster is planning on buying insurance, but is wondering about the level. It seems to me, based on the costs being quoted, the first level would barely cover a DCS treatment... I think I'm going middle level for sure.
The basic plan is only $10 cheaper than the middle one, but it's a real dog in comparison. I was told that they keep it offered because so many ask for it, and DAN is a membership organization - but still...?

I keep the top plan. I figure if I get hurt, I want all the help I can get - money no object.

The costs posted appear to be more indicative of treatment in the USA. Any idea how it works out in the APAC like Phil Thai and Indonesia?

Sent from my GT-N7000

Over and above the increased levels of dive medical coverage, preferred covers non-dive accidents (how many of us have other, injury potential hobbies?), and dive vacation cancellation/interruption.

Over and above the increased levels of dive medical coverage, preferred covers non-dive accidents (how many of us have other, injury potential hobbies?), and dive vacation cancellation/interruption.
I've noticed many misunderstand that. The extra non-dive accidents is only for accidents, and only $10,000. That'd help pay what other coverage doesn't, but does not make up for lack of other coverage.

Good morning. I am late to this party and don't know if you've made a decision but I'd like to add my dos centavos.

I help tourists at a clinic with hyperbaric chamber in a foreign country and I recommend that you purchase the Preferred plan. For a dive accident, any level of DAN insurance will have recompression treatment started immediately -- without waiting for permission to treat from the primary insurer and, in many cases, without the patient having to pull out a credit card. But the Preferred allows immediate treatment for any accident where the medical charges might exceed the US$250 deductible -- with a $250 refundable credit card charge if your primary covers it. This is really important if you have a medical emergency away from home. Stuff happens and many insurance companies do not answer their 24-hour emergency phone lines after business hours (or on weekends.) When a patient doesn't have the means to pay or refuses to pay, treatment is delayed past the initial hours after injury, which may lead to complications. If you travel to dive, you should seriously consider reducing a lot of risk for a very small difference in price.

Just keep in mind DAN is secondary insurance. Still provides great coverage and I also like that it provides coverage for lost equipment which is great. Typical homeowners policies won't cover cameras or housings if dropped overboard or lost on a dive. Only if stolen. So that's useful. But I hear it can be cumbersome hashing out payments between DAN and your primary insurance. It'll all get paid but its more work. I currently have DAN but I'm looking at DiveAssure when my DAN comes up for renewal. It's a bit pricier, but its primary insurance and has several coverage options. Anybody know much about them?

Has anyone used DAN for a dive accident and had a bad experience with the paperwork? Or was it pretty easy? I don't mind spending a bit extra to avoid the hassle...

---------- Post added August 9th, 2013 at 08:21 AM ----------

Just found a great thread about DAN vs DiveAssure. Please wait

New to the whole forum thing...forget to search first, then ask questions!

Has anyone used DAN for a dive accident and had a bad experience with the paperwork? Or was it pretty easy? I don't mind spending a bit extra to avoid the hassle...

Hi DesertDiver80,

Over the years, I seen/spoken with many divers who have filed dive accident claims with DAN and gotten appropriate services paid for/reimbursed. Generally, this goes quite smoothly provided that the injured diver or his representative carefully perform what DAN asks in such a situation, including promptly informing them of the event, coordinating with them & getting pre-approval for such things as air evacuation, completing the claim form dotting all “i’s” & crossing all “t’s, having the hospital and/or doctor similarly complete the reverse side of the form & attach a complete invoice, etc.

Simply call DAN and they will willingly & fully explain to you your obligations. In my experience they are not onerous--they simply need to be done properly.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom