[Question] UK Divers - Experiences with PFO testing and repair with NHS and private insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@LivR95 The UKDMC is the place to start, as mentioned above. Contact one of the diving medical referees for a clear diagnosis and a way forward.
This sounds like a good approach - thank you! Do you know what kind of rates they will charge?

Give me a shout if you like uk based pfo "survivor"

DM me and we can sort mobile nos
Hi Jon,

Which cardiologist did you see? I’m about to start on this journey after what seem to be a couple of lymphatic hits.

Thanks

Dave

If they don’t find someone to run it soon it will be closed down as they won’t sell it.
I guess we will all lurk here then 😂

i heard a rumour, from a trusted source, that a PFO is usually not corrected through surgery unless is is actively affecting you in your day-to-day life.

So if diving is a hobby, then you will likely have to pay privately to have the surgery. If you are reliant on making a living and the PFO is hindering this, ie your job is to dive (or some other specific instance in which a PFO is causing problems), Then you will qualify for treatment on the NHS.

This sounds fairly reasonable to me. I didn't question this when told from my friend in the industry but you should check with a diving doc.

I dived with someone this June who had paid £10k for the op in the UK after trying everything to get it on NHS.

I think though there is a thread on uk based The Dive Forum about a member who's had a closure on NHS recently so maybe trusts differ in their approach.

TDF may cease at end of year so check it soonish if you can

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom