Deco cylinders O2 over pressurized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

though oddly I seem to remember a post about divers converting AL medical cylinders to scuba use for during diving.
I have never heard of this being done. It would be very hard to do because the valves are so different, and there would be no reason to do it.

Specifically for taking underwater ? Or as on site emergency O2 supply ?
its been a while... but I THOUGHT for use underwater (changing valves and such) I mean what would you really need to do to use medical cylinders as emergency O2... other than throwing a regulator (specific to the cylinder) on and hooking it up to a 100% rebreather mask?? I carried one with me when I lived in Florida... because you never know when you'll be at a dive site and someone had a baby DAN cylinder and needed more O2.

I have never heard of this being done. It would be very hard to do because the valves are so different, and there would be no reason to do it.
who am I to say... pretty sure I saw the post here on Scuba Board though...

No credit card?

114 017a (1).JPG

Ha, no problem!

NAUI, there is a "cave deco" I believe... but it was more expedient to not spend time in cave country on deco stuff when actually get around to doing Cave2 by doing something equivalent before starting Cave2
Yes, NAUI Cave 1 has no deco, certifies you to dive unsupervised using 3rds and up to 2 navigation decisions. Getting your AN/DP and logging 20 unsupervised cave dives are prerequisites for Cave 2.

I have done it as a joke. A spare air reg/valve is the same threads as an E medical oxygen bottle. I painted one yellow and stenciled it with "Spare Error" I then proceeded to carry it around on a few dives. It worked, made a spare air big enough to be useful.

Yes, NAUI Cave 1 has no deco, certifies you to dive unsupervised using 3rds and up to 2 navigation decisions. Getting your AN/DP and logging 20 unsupervised cave dives are prerequisites for Cave 2.
actually when I got certified it was 3 nav decisions... but really... I've ever only done one jump on a given dive.. you can't do circuits, you can't carry stages... so where you going with 3 jumps??? Oh, also hard bottom of 100' (not planned anyway) I am currently at 40 post class dives for Cave1 and working on AN/DP (or in my world Tec-45) so I can get Cave2...HOPEFULLY in 2022.

To clear it up, the 2250 psi limit on medical O2 is based on the limits of the bottle, not the limits of O2. Medical bottles limited to 2250, scuba AL40 is 3000.

There are 3000# medical bottles, however they are not likely to be seen because of the low turnover of medical fleets and the cost of the cylinders. Couple this with the air concentrators, and it could take a long time for any noticeable changes in the med companies fleets.

so why does your instructor manual NOT correspond to my student manual both for Dive 4?? mine was purchased 3 months ago and in PDF format... could you have outdated PADI materials?
Your PDF manual from 3 months ago is still the old Tec Deep Manual and Dive 4 in the manual is from the the old Tec Deep and Apprentice Tec curriculum. Scroll down and you will see a Training Dive 5...which does not exist in the Tec 40 curriculum.

You are reading about Training Dive 4 from Page 180 in the Tec Deep Manual. Click your Tec 40 independent Study Assignments link in the PDF manual or look at the handouts your instructor provided you. You will see that the PDF Manual content for Tec 40 ends at Emergency Procedures II, Tec Exercise 2.6 which is on Page 129. You are not following the Tec 40 curriculum which bounces between the handouts and the manual.

@boulderjohn posted the actual Tec 40 Dive 4 standards from the instructor manual and that dive is an actual decompression dive. Your Tec 40 instructor can confirm that and show you the Tec 40 training dive requirements from the Tec 40 Standards.

Back
Top Bottom