Deco cylinders O2 over pressurized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pointless... this post was about 100% O2 in a cylinder , not PADI standards.
Well 100% isnt part of the class you referenced. And even if it was, you can do a max 10 mins of deco 3 times over on 2000psi of O2. Plus your question says that 3000psi is "overfilled" which is not the case either.

So what were you worried about at this point in your diving career? Just fill them to 2000psi if you are stressed about the (tiny) added risk of having the O2 boosted to 3K

It is my opinion that the greatest learning gets done when the original topic has been beaten to death and the thread falls down a rabbit hole of learning, as long as everyone is respectful and doesn’t respond like GI3.

If the original topic hasn’t been answered to your satisfaction, report the thread and we will have a look at it.
I mean I'm happy with the O2 discussion. I just didn't want to turn this into a CDF thread :) This is from my student manual... Dive 5 ALSO states simulated.
1638898660153.png

Well 100% isnt part of the class you referenced. And even if it was, you can do a max 10 mins of deco 3 times over on 2000psi of O2. Plus your question says that 3000psi is "overfilled" which is not the case either.

So what were you worried about at this point in your diving career? Just fill them to 2000psi if you are stressed about the (tiny) added risk of having the O2 boosted to 3K
actually it was, I stated I was working my way through Tec-45 , currently at Tec-40. And per my experience in the medical field O2 cylinders NEVER have more than 2250psi in them... so 3000 WOULD be over filled. You need to read THE ENTIRE post. But that has all been answered.

actually it was, I stated I was working my way through Tec-45 , currently at Tec-40. And per my experience in the medical field O2 cylinders NEVER have more than 2250psi in them... so 3000 WOULD be over filled. You need to read THE ENTIRE post. But that has all been answered.
I purchase a lot of medical oxygen cylinders. Considerably more than most local hospitals as they tend to use LOX for their bulk. All of my cylinders come at 2500 psi. Not much of a difference, but still. A 200cf bottle is not 200cf at 2250, it is 200cf at 2475.
One or two being low would be fine, if they routinely came that way and I was billed for a full tank, I would start complaining.
I can order medical O2 in 3500 psi cylinders if I was so inclined, but it is a hefty upcharge and doesn't benefit me as someone with many oxygen boosters.

I have read the whole thread. Are you doubling down that scuba al40s are something other than 3000psi cylinders? lol

Overpressurized is defined by CGA and DOT. A full al40 at 3000psi & 70F is not properly filled with air, 32%, or 50% or whatever and somehow overfilled when filled with 100%

I have read the whole thread. Are you doubling down that scuba al40s are something other than 3000psi cylinders? lol

Overpressurized is defined by CGA and DOT. A full al40 at 3000psi & 70F is not properly filled with air, 32%, or 50% or whatever and somehow overfilled when filled with 100%
NO.. that was in comparison to the only thing I know which are medical o2 cylinders... which I've NEVER seen above 2250... you are still late to the discussion... that has all been answered.

NO.. that was in comparison to the only thing I know which are medical o2 cylinders... which I've NEVER seen above 2250... you are still late to the discussion... that has all been answered.
In case you didn't know cylinders have different rated pressures that is defined by the structure of the tank NOT the gas that is in them.

In case you didn't know cylinders have different rated pressures that is defined by the structure of the tank NOT the gas that is in them.
NO DUH...

To clear it up, the 2250 psi limit on medical O2 is based on the limits of the bottle, not the limits of O2. Medical bottles limited to 2250, scuba AL40 is 3000.
That actually does clear up some mis-conceptions I had... and what was driving this post.... though oddly I seem to remember a post about divers converting AL medical cylinders to scuba use for during diving.

Back
Top Bottom