Deco cylinders O2 over pressurized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100% takes no prisoners. A bit of margin for the newly minted deco diver seems... prudent.
So would you find it odd that at Tec-40 you don't even do an actual deco dive during class? Only simulated.

I'm not faulting PADI... I'm a PADI OWSI... though I was shocked at the simulated deco dive. I mean I remember my first Deep dive... in an advanced class... no one told me my regulator would flow differently, I was totally pissed at my instructor for NOT sharing that little detail... point being seems like doing a simulated dive is shorting the student from an experience with an instructor RIGHT THERE. I did however learn from that experience, I now inform my students what to expect before doing such dives.

So would you find it odd that at Tec-40 you don't even do an actual deco dive during class?
That's not accurate. Training Dive Four is actual deco.

I could also counter: you don't find it odd that other agencies' "Intro to Tech" doesn't do any actual technical diving (as in exceeding rec limits)? I personally don't -- they are all progressions.

It is the PADI way... turn one course into TWO... give you 50% at level one and 100% at level two..
PADI Tec 40 is really designed to let you extend bottom time within the limits of recreational depths. It is truly an introduction to decompression. It teaches most of the decompression theory within that introductory class. In Tec 45, they finish the decompression theory and extend those limits. In Tec 50, they add a second deco gas.

TDI Advanced Nitrox teaches you about nitrox. You are not allowed to use any deco gas on your dives, let alone 50%. Decompression Procedures teaches you all the deco and lets you use one deco gas. AN/DP is roughly the equivalent of Tec 45.

Both programs allow you to ignore that sequencing and mix things up into one class in a way that makes much more sense.

I could also counter: you don't find it odd that other agencies' "Intro to Tech" doesn't do any actual technical diving (as in exceeding rec limits)? I personally don't -- they are all progressions.
The TDI AD/DP sequence does not require ANY deco dives during training. I am sure most TDI instructors will require it (I did when I was a TDI instructor), but it is not required by standards. For PADI, it is required in Tec 40, 45, and 50. Tec 50 requires 2 deco dives.

The TDI AD/DP sequence does not require ANY deco dives during training. I am sure most TDI instructors will require it (I did when I was a TDI instructor), but it is not required by standards. For PADI, it is required in Tec 40, 45, and 50. Tec 50 requires 2 deco dives.
Its strange, I did my ANDP recently and we had to do 8 dives, 4 for AN can be shallow (simulating) and 4 for DP had to be dec dives which we did doing 20-15min deco.

Although these will be no stop dives, you will plan the dives as
simulated decompression dives. Your plans should contain all information
you would need to make the dives.

THAT is the Dive 4 plan..... SIMULATED decompression dives.

Its strange, I did my ANDP recently and we had to do 8 dives, 4 for AN can be shallow (simulating) and 4 for DP had to be dec dives which we did doing 20-15min deco.
As I said, most instructors will do the deco, and they are now allowed to mix the classes together in a way that makes more sense. Combining the AN and DP classes makes way more sense than doing them the way they used to be done because it allows you to rearrange the dives in an order that makes much more sense.

1638894002899.png

Although these will be no stop dives, you will plan the dives as
simulated decompression dives. Your plans should contain all information
you would need to make the dives.

THAT is the Dive 4 plan..... SIMULATED decompression dives.
Here are the actual standards for Tec 40 Dive #4, pasted out of the manual.

Tec 40 Training Dive Four
To successfully complete this training dive, the student must be able to:
1. Working in a team, plan the dive following the A Good Diver’s Main Objective Is To Live
procedure, and perform predive checks following the Being Wary Reduces All Failures procedure.
2. Complete an actual decompression dive within Tec 40 limits (40 metres/130 feet max
depth, 10 minutes max deco, EANx50 max oxygen content).

3. Descend along a line to the bottom, maintaining control of depth and descent speed by
adjusting buoyancy.
4. Working as a team, perform appropriate bubble checks and descent checks.
5. As part of a team, demonstrate time/depth and gas supply awareness and turn pressure
and time limit awareness by turning the dive at the planned time, when any team mate’s
computer shows the planned decompression time or when any team mate reaches turn pressure.
6. Ascend at a safe rate not to exceed 10 metres/30 feet per minute, or slower if prompted by
a dive computer, and complete the required decompression as a team.
7. Throughout the dive, respond appropriately to actual or simulated problems or emergencies.

Tec 40 Dive #3 is all about simulated decompression. Here is what it says in the post dive section of the instructor manual for Dive #3:

Note: The next dive is an actual decompression dive. Students must have met all performance​
requirements and demonstrated their ability to conduct such a dive before​
moving on to it. If you or a student has any doubts about this, repeat Tec 40 Training​
Dive Three and/or provide any necessary remediation before continuing on to Tec 40​
Training Dive Four.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom