Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was torn about discussing this story with my recently certified son, but the potential benefit from discussing this incident with him won out over preserving his view of the world.

to summarize the conversation

Would you ever go diving in a cave?
A: No
What about just inside where you can still see the way out?
A: I already said no
What if we were diving together and I went in?
A: You're screwed

There was more to it than that, but even a 10 year old, when taught about the dangers around them can make the right choice. Maybe there should be a course on how to be a parent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the gold line extended out into open water at the deco log which is outside the cavern/cave of Eagles Nest Sink.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2013 at 11:02

So are you full cave certified or not.

I attempted to respond, but that part of the post was deleted by the moderator. I'll assume they don't want you to know.

Well I think that it has been a while since your posting of your GUE Cave 1 class on CDF and really did not know if you took Cave 2 class or not. Just asking.

I'm certain they were doing it for some time. That does not look like someone who is uncomfortable diving in that setup. Most people wouldn't think for a second that there was any issue with experience or that both of them were way over their heads (no pun intended).
Although my question is, and it doesn't just apply to this situation, but to diving in general... If you see a potential problem, whether it is a diver ill-equipped or through idle chit chat you discover an uncertified diver, of course you are free to intervene and in this case you would most likely be told to go chase yourself six ways from Sunday, what recourse do you have? I don't see any way of physically stopping them from entering the water, or even stopping them from doing it again in the future.

Well, it depends.

If I see a large group of divers clearly unequipped/unprepared to enter an inland cave I normally dive, I'd ask if they are cave trained (although it is obvious they are not), and if they say NO, I'd ask if they have the permission of the land owner to access the cave, and if they say NO, I'd ask them if they have a permit/license from the authorities (some caves require it), and if they say NO, I'd tell them that they cannot lawfully dive the cave, and if they proceed with their intentions I call 112 (the U.S. 911 equivalent) because they are clearly a public danger (a danger to themselves and others) and the police has a duty to intervene.

So, you would not be powerless and there is something you can do.

It gets a bit more complicated with the Spiveys types because they generally look the part, but if you do know they actively dive caves as some would/could/ought to have known in this case (cave diving is a small world), and a cave untrained minor is involved in deep cave air dives, it does beggar belief how nobody with the knowledge and holding some positions (Management or Member or Trained Rescuer...) in "Cave Organizations" (i.e. NSS-CDS, NACD, IUCRR...) did not make that call to the police.

Maybe nobody knew (???) and it went unnoticed to fellow cave divers, but a cave untrained minor doing deep air cave dives is a call to the police in my book.

Having read quite a few posts on this thread, I thought a short comment might be appropriate as many of the posts are truly irrelevant or display a total lack of understanding of cave diving protocol.

This terrible tragedy (not really an accident) was a case of totally flawed, bad judgement by both divers. People untrained and unqualified to complete this kind of dive. They ignored the warnings and made a sincere effort to dive a site that is more off the grid than most. All other comments about gear, access, etc are just noise - Internet banter.

Overhead diving requires specific training. Hell, even a cavern dive can exceed most people's limits and what qualifies as a cavern is limited by depth and distance from open water; but then we are getting into the rules.

People need to get the proper training and maybe more importantly, dive within your comfort/experience zone. Even with training, experience is required to dive serious dives. And what is a Serious dive for one person, may be a low stress dive for another or way over the head of another.

I have a true love for cave diving (and wreck diving) and more than a decent level of experience and training, but I fully realize that I have many limits - self imposed ones

Happy New Years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 732
You know, I don't feel that bad about taking "new equipment" into the cave. Maybe it was a new computer (and using the old one as a backup). Maybe it was new fins. Maybe it was a new backup light. Maybe it was a new set of doubles, or a new wing. Not all "new equipment" puts a dive at significant risk. This is being misinterpreted just as the fact that their friend had lent equipment has been misinterpreted to mean that they had that equipment on THIS dive.

Perhaps. I was banging that drum as representing the tacit endorsement of Spivey's cave diving by the certified diver that loaned the equipment. "You know, you really shouldn't be going into caves...and here's that set of doubles and 400ft reel you wanted to borrow."

... This is being misinterpreted just as the fact that their friend had lent equipment has been misinterpreted to mean that they had that equipment on THIS dive.

There are enough mistakes and enough issues surrounding this dive that I don't think we have to go fishing for more.

Great point. IMHO, it is interesting that some posters appear to conclude that the reporter accurately stated the diver's comments. How many times have we berated reporters for using the term "oxygen" tank rather than "air" tank? And now, all of a sudden, we have complete confidence in what the reporter wrote. If I was the diver, I would not come close to this thread. If I was his attorney, I would be reading every comment that was made about or against my client.

On a different note, thanks to the divers for performing the recovery. We know it was not what you had planned to do on Christmas Day - we appreciate you being there.

This picture looks like Little River.
Which means to me they were intentionally visiting unregulated cave sites.
AR-131229966.jpg&MaxW=300&MaxH=300

It's too bad that Dad's life of rash, illegal and stupid decisions ended by taking his son with him.

Any shop that takes divers to this site without full cave certification and trimix is more interested in making money than keeping their students safe. In my opinion the only class that should be taught at EN is trimix, and only to full cave students.

I believe that only unfit, selfish, unsafe oxygen thieves would make any argument for new divers at this site.

Can you guys help me, I'm trying to put the Internet footprints in order.

10/20/2013 [Eagle's Nest] - "Great dive, no specs in the way. Way better than a few weeks ago and seen a lil bass fish at 120'. Hit 186' max , was able to see line pretty good. Worth the 30min drive for sure, AWESOME DAY,!!"

12/07/2013 [Little River] - "Great dive! Love the cork screw, like heaven on earth!!!. Went through the merry go round tunnel and halfway through the Florida room. But the current was really strong! Kicked my feet over my head 1 time but not to bad for a 1st time dive there, plan was though no further than Florida room"

12/13/2013 [Eagle's Nest] - "Good dive but there was some muck vis was clear-green did the ball room again, 134' max left line and ran a reel around a little bit, found a little room and went through a tube that leads right back out pretty cool"

12/25/2013 [Eagle's Nest] - Dual fatality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom