One dead and one Missing at Buford Springs (FL, USA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to that NYP article, the teenagers overheard them discussing going "back down into the cave."

Dont know if I trust the NYP, but take with it what you will. Dont know if it means that they were already in the cave (could be "going back down, [and] into the cave").

$15,000 worth of it, apparently.
15 thousand rubles is only 280 freedom bucks

What’s frustrating to me in reading this story is that there are several things the media could have put in if they just did the work…

• I have not seen any link that confirms the equipment used… single tank or other
  • I have not seen any confirmation of what the gauges say… are the tanks empty? I assume they are
  • We keep hearing the term “experienced divers with training”. What training?

What’s frustrating to me in reading this story is that there are several things the media could have put in if they just did the work…

• I have not seen any link that confirms the equipment used… single tank or other
  • I have not seen any confirmation of what the gauges say… are the tanks empty? I assume they are
  • We keep hearing the term “experienced divers with training”. What training?
I suppose I've gotten used to the idea that most of the media is somewhat useless for the goal of being informed.

For us to get any info, it would likely have to come from the police, or a scuba-org working with the police. I wouldn't expect your average journalist to know much about SCUBA, from what I've seen, articles mostly just copy+pasted public statements by the police. I suppose if someone is feeling ambitious, they could try doing journalist's work and try contacting the local police department for more info.

they could try doing journalist's work and try contacting the local police department for more info.
..and typically pay a fee for it.

Can someone confirm they were not diving AL-13s?

The Kreosan divers have convinced me that you can never make assumptions about what equipment a diver will use.

To be fair, they are diving in a space not much larger than a swimming pool. Significant overhead hazard, entanglement hazard, minor radiation hazard, but probably not a space where you need a ton of air. Those looked more like twin 30s or 40s, so the equivalent of a steel 72 or AL80 for a 14 minute <20 FFW dive?

And since Chernobyl is at the top of my bucket list, yeah, I would probably do it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom