One dead and one Missing at Buford Springs (FL, USA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. — Firefighters and deputies responded to a deadly diving incident Wednesday at Buford Springs, north of Weeki Wachee, in Hernando County.

Hernando County Fire Rescue confirmed there were two divers involved, and one has been pronounced dead. A spokesperson said a search was underway for the second diver.

No further details were immediately released.

"We are aware of this incident and assisting the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office," an FWC spokesperson said.

There are underwater caverns in the area, which is a common spot for divers.

Buford Springs is located inside the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

All members, please refresh yourself on the Special Rules for posting in this subforum.

Link does not work for me

Article in link doesn’t match bit posted.

What’s Buford like to dive?
The vis can be really good, but it can also be pretty terrible. Below ~70', you're in an overhead environment. Past the big rock (~110' there on the pic) it gets a bit smaller but it's still pretty open top in general.
That said, freedivers will often start stirring up silt in the 60-70' range, reducing visibility. OW divers who get near the bottom tend to also help reduce visibility.
It's not uncommon to see single tank recreational divers past the big rock at that site.

buford map.jpg

What’s Buford like to dive?

The cave map under resources is a good overview. Nice big hour glass shaped cavern with a cave zone that slopes off to one side, but very easy to get in the cave zone. Minimal flow. Should be no lines at all unless you run them, though I've heard mixed reports of lines in the deep deep cave zone. Completely unrestricted access with a lot of idiots diving it.

When the conditions are good the viz can be crystal clear. The shear size of the Cavern (it is huge) make it more like diving in open blue water where you can be a lot deeper than you think you are if you aren't paying attention. There are lines at the bottom with arrows, but from my experience there narcosis at depth is a big risk factor. Those lines run all the way down to 150'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom