Dead Diver Reported at Spitting Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y:
Too bad the TOS keeps me from saying what I really want...

Here, here. My sentiments exactly fishb0y.

D_O_H:
Thanks for the info, FLL.

You (or a mod) may want to edit the post to remove the victim's name per the TOS (or at least what I understand to be the TOS - I honestly haven't read them myself).

I'd hate for his family to do a google search for his name and have to read some of the off-topic hero/not hero stuff in this thread.

I also wanted to point out that I don't think it was necessarily unreasonable for the victim to carry out this dive, even if swells were 6' or larger. We do dives around here in 6'+ seas on a regular basis and I wouldn't consider seas that large to necessarily be that big of a deal.

I don't know this site and I don't know what conditions looked like on the day of the accident, but I don't think it is unreasonable to "trust" a dive operation regarding whether a site is safe to dive given the then prevailing conditions. I am going to make my own judgment based on what I can observe and might call the dive or at least ask some pointed questions if there's something bothering me, but I'm going to give the dive op a pretty strong benefit of the doubt in this area, given their vastly superior knowledge about local sites.

--Scott
Hawaii 6 footers and Cali six footers are two different animals. It's not just a factor of wave height but wave frequency, current, wind chop and shoreline conditions. HAving dove and fished Nor Cal and Hawaii, I can make these statements with a little authority. It was rough but I don't think it was "don't go diving" rough. The cause of death will end up being drowning Im sure, after all, he was in the water but the trauma be it baro or physical will tell a lot. The guy was a jarhead marathon runner, Im thinking he could have swam out of most conditions.
Since my "sentiments" were pulled, lets just say I don't agree with the canadians ideals.

I am so sorry to read about this tragedy. I am 49 and recently had the priveledge to be a guest at the Hale Koa. I dove very near this place. I dove with Aaron's and would do so again without hesitation.

My condolences to this hero's family, comrades and friends.

Wildcard:
Hawaii 6 footers and Cali six footers are two different animals. It's not just a factor of wave height but wave frequency, current, wind chop and shoreline conditions. HAving dove and fished Nor Cal and Hawaii, I can make these statements with a little authority. It was rough but I don't think it was "don't go diving" rough. The cause of death will end up being drowning Im sure, after all, he was in the water but the trauma be it baro or physical will tell a lot. The guy was a jarhead marathon runner, Im thinking he could have swam out of most conditions.
Since my "sentiments" were pulled, lets just say I don't agree with the canadians ideals.

I don't doubt what you say at all. 6 footers at 8 seconds are a lot different than 6 footers at 20 seconds.

All I was trying to point out is that I don't necessarily think the victim was negligent in deciding to go forward with this dive. I consider myself a pretty reasonable and safe diver and, from what I've been able to gather about the conditions that day, I would likely have gone forward with the dive as well.

D_O_H:
I don't doubt what you say at all. 6 footers at 8 seconds are a lot different than 6 footers at 20 seconds.

All I was trying to point out is that I don't necessarily think the victim was negligent in deciding to go forward with this dive. I consider myself a pretty reasonable and safe diver and, from what I've been able to gather about the conditions that day, I would likely have gone forward with the dive as well.
I was there, near by anyway. I knew he had died and I chose to dive. It was a challenging dive but I would not go so far as to call it an aborted dive trip. Something happened that shouldn't have. This guy was a marine officer that ran in marathons. Something happened.

Does anyone know what went wrong on that dive? Other than he was sepeated from the rest of the group I haven't heard anything that would indicate he would have had a problem.

We don't even know that he was seperated. Several versions of the story, none work for me. He shouldn't have died.

well, WC, don't forget three "other divers" were also "in distress". to me...this speaks to conditions. I think he was pounded on the rocks.

One of the captains asked me if I saw the cop dragging the regulator across the parking lot.

Marine? I thought he was Army.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom