Dead Diver Reported at Spitting Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard on the news that the boat had to go get the other divers first because they were indicating they were having problems, and by the time they got to him he was in trouble. That's why I thought he had become seperated. Other than a medical issue I can't understand him dying if he still had air.

why don't you think the huge surf could have thrown him on the rocks? Otherwise, with an inflated BC, it wouldn't matter if he was out of air.

Thus the problem with debating the cause, we don't even know what hapened. Fit? Heck yes, he ran marathons. Army? Thought he was marine? He was military, it's all good.
If equipment was removed from the boat prior to being investigated by someone who has a clue, then once again, Oahu's finest screwed up, but this too, we do not know. Blame the press.
A good man died when he shouldn't have.

So where exactly is this "Spitting Cave"? Is this the arch formation between Portlock and Hanauma where you can take a boat in dead calm water? I dived every part of that wall from Portlock to the Makapu down to 125' - got stranded and rescued at sea twice doing it too. There some nasty seas there too - on one canoe race from Lanikai to Waikiki, a team quit at Hanuama due to the seas. My boat fell off a 12' swell on another race - WHAM!!!! right from the crest into the trough. That was a long day.

Bummer the guy died after getting through Eye-raq. I don't know if Jack owns Aaron's. I never had a good fit with him although we had dealings from time to time, although his second long-split wife sure was cool when she ran the Aaron's on Kam Highway in Pearl City.
Sounds like the water was too gnarly for a non-mission dive though.

They did a inter island canoe race the same time this happened. They finished at Hawai Kai (sp)...It was a little rough but not dead rough.

Wildcard:
Thus the problem with debating the cause, we don't even know what hapened. Fit? Heck yes, he ran marathons. Army? Thought he was marine? He was military, it's all good.
If equipment was removed from the boat prior to being investigated by someone who has a clue, then once again, Oahu's finest screwed up, but this too, we do not know. Blame the press.
A good man died when he shouldn't have.

KGMB was reporting that the equipment was removed by HPD ( which was showed on the news,( Cath I saw them dragging the SPG too)) to be turned over to the NSTB. Why the NSTB, because it happened on a boat.

I haven't seen this a lot in any of this. Everyone is keying on the diver. What if it wasn't him we should be keying on? I thought the news was reporting that the boat saw 4 divers. Three of the divers were signaling/in trouble, so the boat went to get them. Then they went to get the fourth diver. That place is a tricky place and maybe he didn't know he was in trouble until it was too late. I have dove there, but I didn't even get that opportunity until my two dive buddies thought it was safe for me to do.

Man who died on dive didn't drown
John H, 46, was Iraq war vet
BY LEE EGERSTROM
Pioneer Press

A St. Paul man who died Sunday while scuba diving in Hawaii apparently died of natural causes and did not drown, his wife said Tuesday.

Army Lt. Col. John H, 46, who recently completed a tour of duty in Iraq, died while on a dive with friends off the island of Oahu on Sunday morning. His body was retrieved by the diving boat crew, and he was officially identified Monday by a medical examiner in Honolulu.

His widow, Barbara L of St. Paul, said Tuesday that the autopsy conducted in Honolulu was inconclusive about the cause of death and that further tests are being conducted.

"He didn't drown. The cause of death was apparently a natural event," she said.

L said she anticipates the Army will return H's body Thursday.

H had just returned from Iraq and was headed for home and reserve status next week. A West Point graduate with a master's degree in international management from the University of St. Thomas, H was serving with the 322nd Civil Affairs Brigade based at Fort Shaffer in Hawaii.

H was born in Connecticut in 1959 and attended school in Danbury, Conn., before going to West Point. He moved to St. Paul in 1992 with a former wife and children from that marriage.

L said H was working for a unit of General Motors Acceptance Corporation in Bloomington before he was recalled to active duty last May 21, one year to the day before he died.

Scuba diving might have had no part in what caused Hennessey to die, LeTourneau said. It was a favorite sport for him.

"He went over the side of the boat with friends and it was soon discovered he wasn't with his party," she said. Other divers looked for him, and he was pulled back aboard the diving boat.

"The diving crew administered CPR, but to no avail," she said.

The family is planning a funeral June 1 at Holy Spirit Catholic Church, 512 S. Albert St., in St. Paul.

"Natural causes" - heart attack?

Has there been anything in the local papers there?

Marc

Removed names

Wow, thanks for the follow up. If you have a medical problem there and cannot be reached (what the fire department insinuated) then you are in deeper trouble.

Believe me, the crew is sighing a deep sigh of relief, for their butts.

So where exactly is this "Spitting Cave"? Is this the arch formation between Portlock and Hanauma where you can take a boat in dead calm water? I dived every part of that wall from Portlock to the Makapu down to 125' - got stranded and rescued at sea twice doing it too. There some nasty seas there too

yes, Tom, right around the corner from the point out at Portlock, where the Caves "spit". Not exactly a full blow-hole...but you get a wraparound and some back wash from the surf there. Very, very beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom