Dead Diver Reported at Spitting Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting that, Catherine.

At least if he had to die, it wasn't "over there" and was in paradise, doing something he loved, on friendly soil. To me, anyway, that's a bit more comforting.

Diver Dies Near Spitting Caves, Honolulu Advertser

In the past 25 years, as a boat captain, dive master and scuba instructor, I have seen my share of police, fire department, DNLR, and coast guard risking their lives to save others in the Spitting Cave, China Wall - Portlock area.

I would like to throw out a few pointers to the swimmers, non-swimmers, surfers, free divers, commercial and non-commercial scuba divers.

First of all, Portlock/ Spitting Caves can be a beautiful experience if the ocean conditions are as follows:

Little to no south swell, light NE or N trade winds, incoming tide (low to high) when the current direction runs towards Diamond Head.
So, when the surf is 4' plus and the trade winds are blowing strong (20 mph plus and the current (tide) is high to low, towards Makapu'u --- go see a movie.

When in doubt, don't go out.

Aloha,
Captain Joey
Joe Zbin

Joey sent this to the paper thinking it could be helpful.... Leesa, maybe we could include the "conditions paragraph" in our sticky for local dive sites?

Did we ever find out what realy happened?

well, autopsy was natural causes. It is reprted that he was waving his arms and calling at the surface....maybe an unfortunate combination? Several reported seeing blood. Sounds like the surf threw him on the rocks after he was in trouble. I don't think we will every get a "put together conclusion".
As the swell switches to the south for the summer, we will have fewer dive days at that spot...

The lady at the newspaper just told me that the spot is in the guide books and there needed to be a warning, she thought.

Back
Top Bottom