Dead Diver Reported at Spitting Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whose call is it in the end? The Captain or the DM? If I am correctly informed the boat doesn't belong to Aarons

Knight:
It's just sad they don't warn but expect the sport dive tourist to know that this is a more skilled dive then most dives they have log, it really sounds like someone (local govt) after all these accidents in the area should take some sort of action into warning tourist when the right times to dive in that area is best and what not to do, etc, etc. Then again if someone knows the dangers of the dive but yet they think there fit for it when there really not and they end up not coming back then this is just plan stupid and we all know that mother nature will eventually win...

Always descending,
c.h.
I disagree wholeheartedly. Scuba diving has been self regulating since the beginning. It is up to charter captains to understand if the conditions are right for there charters. It is also up to the individual diver to assess their surroundings.

Do you want the same thing as Long Beach, CA where it is against the law to dive without a snorkel. It is enough that people get bent over "Do It Right", could you imagine "Do It Legal".

justleesa:
Whose call is it in the end? The Captain or the DM? If I am correctly informed the boat doesn't belong to Aarons
OOOOOOOOO.
Good question. I go with the captain.....his boat

Sharkbaithawaii:
OOOOOOOOO.
Good question. I go with the captain.....his boat

39.gif
hmmm

catherine96821:
Well, I bet this guy was intelligent and trusted the judgement of others.

The problem, you all, is there are some captains out there who do not know when it should be done. A tourist does not know which captains to trust.

How do you propose we cut the numbers of accidents at this site? I am eager to here a viable idea. Melissa, to say that he was not the sharpest crayon...do you believe this?

Well, then everyone on the boat was stupid and might have died, because not one person passed on the dive. Tourists don't usually pass. WE pass sometimes because we know. The reason we know is not because of our IQ's, it is because we live here and hear of many bad things happening there. I would really like to hear a viable plan?? that is the function of the thread, really.

Yes, I believe what I said about the sharpest crayon- Not being disrespectful of the deceased, but common sense would tell you not to dive in unfavorable conditions. I don't dive if the conditions are not favorable even if I am on vacation. I would never let someone talk me into a dive just because they think it is the best. I have passed on many dive opportunities because of the conditions. I don't know where the DM's or Instructor was, but I would hope that if I was having problems they would be there to help me. Remember the dive where I blacked out for just a few seconds- I aborted the dive and went to the surface. Zak stayed with me while the leader of the group and everyone else kept going and later said " there is nothing we could have done for you anyways". I guess getting in a good dive is more important to some people than the lives of others. Maybe the dive shop employees need more training for when there is a serious incident underwater or on the surface.

Captain of the boat. However, they rely heavily on the divemaster also. While this wouldn't have helped in this case, when I worked charters in South Carolina, I did a quick check of the site before customers were in the water. I once called a dive after a 1 hour transit to the wreck (I didn't get a tip that day).

something else did anyone find out about the other 3 divers that KGMB reported as being in trouble? So this may have been a dive gone really bad.

Seraphimx:
sorry it just bugged me

With all due respect that is due the deceased, his family, his friends, he was a HERO!
I am going to take the bait and for that I don't apologize. We don't know what happened to the victim here, but we grieve due to his loss. His family are lucky to have had a MAN of his character in thier lineage. God Bless them........

Agreed...

Back
Top Bottom