Dangling bits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is folding the hose over inside a d-ring not an accepted method? I have seen it pretty commonly, so I assumed it was within some generic training standards.

I’ve never done it, I like a necklace, but I am curious about the folding hose method. To be honest, it looks better to me than some other configurations I have seen. Is it taught in paid, naui, or ssi???

No idea of standards, but I remember *very* well that during my CMAS ** (~PADI rescue) course, my buddy had his octo stuffed like that. He was supposed to donate for OOA drill, but of course one of the hundred BCD-straps floating about was stuck in the loop.
Had to "unstuck" the loop myself to get some air, not something that would work well if out of air and out of mask in 3°C water..

Danglies are bad, and I myself have bought into the value of "streamlining" to the nerdiest degree, but I ask myself, where does this fall in the spectrum of bad diving practices and the severity of their consequences? If there is anything that I would say needs to be taught more rigorously in the very first OW course and then reinforced out there in the community by one's peers it's gas management.

I reckon neutral bouyancy is more important. Better gas management follows as a direct consequence.

I reckon neutral bouyancy is more important. Better gas management follows as a direct consequence.
I dunno. Divers can get by without being able to hold a particular depth. Knowing how much gas one needs to do the planned dive and monitoring consumption so that one does not run out of gas should be at the top of the list, in my opinion. Regardless, I think we agree that avoiding danglies is much lower on the list of things to prioritize for the safety of new divers.

Is folding the hose over inside a d-ring not an accepted method? I have seen it pretty commonly, so I assumed it was within some generic training standards.

I’ve never done it, I like a necklace, but I am curious about the folding hose method. To be honest, it looks better to me than some other configurations I have seen. Is it taught in paid, naui, or ssi???
SSI does the same and I don't think that there is anything wrong if done properly. I just thought of the weight belt and I don't see how you could avoid dangling bit without creating a higher risk by stuffing it somewhere.

someone should have a chat with the makers of " The curse of civil war gold" the diving is brutal. is there any professional diver involved.

I don’t think it happened that I mentioned to someone he had stuff dangling and that this person fixed it in a permanent manner.

If there is dangling stuff, there is a good chance the person does not care too much :)

Agreed, but I don't see why the "this or that", one is a skill, the other is ignorance or lack of instructions?

A question just out of curiosity? Long hoses and necklaces aren't supposed to be hazardous? Not even a little bit?

In all reality the setup would be fine...so long as it doesn't result in a threat to the safety of the diver or those around them. That's where the hang up exists for me. He couldn't deploy his octo in an OOA situation under controlled conditions in a pool yet holds OW/AOW certs. The math there doesn't add up.

I don’t think it happened that I mentioned to someone he had stuff dangling and that this person fixed it in a permanent manner.

If there is dangling stuff, there is a good chance the person does not care too much :)
In my first few couple of dives, my SPG was probably dangling. It's not that I did not care. I just did not realize and nobody told me. Then, I realized that my DM had a bungee and a boltsnap. the same day, I purchased the same from the LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom