Dangling bits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheizz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been wondering about something. While looking at youtube videos of dive trips at future destinations (Red Sea liveaboards, Malta wreck dives, Indonesia reef dives) I see all kinds of recreational divers with their gear hanging all over the place. Octos hanging loose, PSG and consoles hitting reefs, octo hoses attached but reaching so wide you could swim through…

What’s going on here?
Do they not realize?
Do they not think there is a snag hazard?
Do they not care about their gear - “don’t be gentle, it’s a rental” kind of thing?
Do divemasters/guides don’t point it out to them? Or even help them to stow stuff away (on a rib, all these bits hanging loose is not ideal, I imagine)?
Isn’t gear streamlining part of dive training in general? It was in mine (Padi OW, SSI AOW)...

On many of those dive trips, being somewhat experienced (50 logged dives minimum, sometimes in combination with AOW at least) is a prerequisite to even being allowed on the trip. So they’re not beginner divers fresh out of their OW course.

Thoughts?

Danglies are bad, as I say. I see OW classes at the local quarry and students have crap hanging all over the place. Many enter the water with primary and octo hanging down their back. Consoles flapping in the breeze. I come across students in the water with their consoles floating behind them. Lots of loose cambands and tanks hanging much lower than divers’ butts, too.

I just sit and people watch and have a good laugh. The instructors obviously don’t care. I was taught otherwise.

Thoughts?

You are on a board that is the minority...

The current common diver:

Quickest/cheapest course
Folks Don't Care
Diving is a "check the box" activity
Folks Don't Care
Rental Equipment
Folks Don't Care
Don't want to spend the time tweaking
Folks Don't Care
Poor Instruction
Folks Don't Care
DM's are a puppy mill who won't criticize as it might cost them a tip
Folks Don't Care...

Several years ago, while just back on the boat after the first dive of the day, and before we had a chance to remove our gear, my instabuddy (who was a pretty good, if new, diver) asked me why my console, flashlight, octo, etc. were clipped off.
I told him that it was to keep them from dangling, to keep them off the coral etc.
He looked down at his gear, and said “but my gear is not dangling".
I asked him “ where would that gear be if you were horizontal?"
He said “I never thought of that.".
I thought “ either a bad instructor, or forgetful/thoughtless newbie."

The nice ending to the story, was that the next day on the boat he came back with a bunch of clips and tubing (God knows where he got them so quickly!), and asked me to helped him secure his gear.
Smart newbie!

This is my step-daughter on her fourth dive... it's the training :wink:

DSC00331 (Large).JPG

Combinations of poor training, thoughtlessness, and often rental gear not having a good way to stow the flappy snag hazards. Like @miked above, I try to be a good example, without being overbearing. Unless they are borrowing my gear.... Then it will be neat and orderly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom