Dangling bits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the issues with a second stage on a necklace is that it makes it very difficult or impossible to inflate the smb by pressing the purge. when it is tightly around your neck. And if you do accomplish it, it is probably not that good to have the smb that close to your rig.

Of course you could take the necklace off in an emergency, but that is also a potential negative.
Or you could have a SMB that has an oral inflate valve and use your mouth.

One of the issues with a second stage on a necklace is that it makes it very difficult or impossible to inflate the smb by pressing the purge. when it is tightly around your neck. And if you do accomplish it, it is probably not that good to have the smb that close to your rig.

Of course you could take the necklace off in an emergency, but that is also a potential negative.
Or just switch to the necklace and use the primary to inflate the SMB?

Either oral inflate or use the long hose primary to inflate the SMB.

Or you could have a SMB that has an oral inflate valve and use your mouth.

No because that would mean you can take the reg out of your mouth. If you could do that, you could inflate with it, which evidently is not an option.

That's why you inflate your SMB with your dry suit hose or an LP hose dedicated to the task.

That’s why I use a sealed DSMB. I hate the open bottom ones.

That’s why I use a sealed DSMB. I hate the open bottom ones.
I have an open bottomed one for my rebreather, so I can inflate using gas in my wing. If I'm on OC, I orally inflate.

There are BCDs with openings just above the zippered pocket to run a console through on the left side so it’s not hanging off the rack in back and to hold an octopus that has its hose half looped into the opening on the right side. No clips or snaps needed.
The BCD I bought in 1988 had Velcro’d flaps above the pockets to secure the octo and console. PADI taught me then that dangly was bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom