Dangling bits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my first few couple of dives, my SPG was probably dangling. It's not that I did not care. I just did not realize and nobody told me. Then, I realized that my DM had a bungee and a boltsnap. the same day, I purchased the same from the LDS.
Yea that’s why I mention quickly to my buddy if I see a dangling octo, light, SPG, … in case they didn’t know.

If they don’t change anything I don’t make a fuss out of it either way

First shot fired … 😂
I did not intend to start a fight. I have always asked myself the question and I am just a rec diver, not GUE, not even tec.

In my first few couple of dives, my SPG was probably dangling. It's not that I did not care. I just did not realize and nobody told me. Then, I realized that my DM had a bungee and a boltsnap. the same day, I purchased the same from the LDS.
All part of the learning process. 20 years into this and I still cringe whenever I'm at a site and I see someone entering/exiting water...dragging one or both regs...through sand or over rocks.

I did not intend to start a fight. I have always asked myself the question and I am just a rec diver, not GUE, not even tec.
If you look at a long hose setup done correctly:
  • The long hose is really wrapped close to the body, it is possibly for it to catch something but actually less likely the rec setup. It does not have the hose bowing at the top for example
  • The necklace should have the correct length so that the secondary hangs close to your body, if you do this with the correct hose length, again it is very close to your body. For example, this is less likely to catch something than the usual recreational secondary which is usually clipped from under the arm.

A question just out of curiosity? Long hoses and necklaces aren't supposed to be hazardous? Not even a little bit?
Why would they be?

... He couldn't deploy his octo in an OOA situation under controlled conditions in a pool yet holds OW/AOW certs.

What, you have to deploy it now? It must be an AOW thing, in my basic course we were told to turn to OOG diver to make it easy for them to grab it. (And not be surprised if they go for the one in our mouth instead.)

What, you have to deploy it now? It must be an AOW thing, in my basic course we were told to turn to OOG diver to make it easy for them to grab it. (And not be surprised if they go for the one in our mouth instead.)
Yes if you can you should have it ready for the OOG diver.

The vernacular police have arrived on scene! Short answer? You could "boppo" the octo to someone. Call it what you will so long as all divers get home alive and well.

More specifically:
"Deploy" - verb;
to bring into effective action; utilize

One of the issues with a second stage on a necklace is that it makes it very difficult or impossible to inflate the smb by pressing the purge. when it is tightly around your neck. And if you do accomplish it, it is probably not that good to have the smb that close to your rig.

Of course you could take the necklace off in an emergency, but that is also a potential negative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom