Dangling bits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dangling end of belt.
Thanks. Apparently my monitor is set a bit dark and I could not see the belt against the background. I had to copy the image and view it separately....

My stomach hangs out less these days

364 26232328_1795887217119559_5507116560859510058_oa.jpg

What a top photo, went for a dive with a guy that took it, on Saturday
Should get it made up into a signed friendship card to spread the love
Yeah great idea!

Another fact; majority of recreational divers don’t read forum posts, or seek out any additional information beyond what they learned at their resort dive course.

Sad, but true.

I’m an information junkie, I like to know as much about a subject as I possibly can. One of my favorite bumper stickers was on a pickup of an old guy in town, “the truly educated man never graduates” I like to think of myself as a life long learner. And, I’m continually amazed at the amount of knowledge that can be found here on Scuba Board. :coffee:

Danglies are bad, as I say. I see OW classes at the local quarry and students have crap hanging all over the place. Many enter the water with primary and octo hanging down their back. Consoles flapping in the breeze. I come across students in the water with their consoles floating behind them. Lots of loose cambands and tanks hanging much lower than divers’ butts, too.

I just sit and people watch and have a good laugh. The instructors obviously don’t care. I was taught otherwise.

I'd attribute it mostly to poor training. If one is not taught a certain aspect of a skill or procedure, then they're highly unlikely to get it right by chance.

Good example from 2 days ago: new student enrolled for PADI RD. He got OW/AOW through a different shop so he is new to myself and staff. First thing is first: full review of skills in the pool to assess competencies. Paired him with a DM for his buddy. DM gives OOA signal and he struggled with his octo for quite a while. Asked on the surface how he was shown to store his onto. He then demonstrated that he was trained to bend the octo hose in half and then stuff that mess into a caribeener.

Not sure where people come up with some of these things. Sadly, he is not the first person. I could understand if it was a random, one-off occurrence, but we are well past one. Usually average one or two converts from the same place a year.

Is folding the hose over inside a d-ring not an accepted method? I have seen it pretty commonly, so I assumed it was within some generic training standards.

I’ve never done it, I like a necklace, but I am curious about the folding hose method. To be honest, it looks better to me than some other configurations I have seen. Is it taught in paid, naui, or ssi???

BSAC certified divers (England) have extensive training in that whole
DANGLY BITS thing.

Leaving the Scots, the Welsh and some Irish divers out of the B in BSAC has led to wars in the past! Bloody clueless Muricans. 😜

Danglies are bad, and I myself have bought into the value of "streamlining" to the nerdiest degree, but I ask myself, where does this fall in the spectrum of bad diving practices and the severity of their consequences? If there is anything that I would say needs to be taught more rigorously in the very first OW course and then reinforced out there in the community by one's peers it's gas management.

There are BCDs with openings just above the zippered pocket to run a console through on the left side so it’s not hanging off the rack in back and to hold an octopus that has its hose half looped into the opening on the right side. No clips or snaps needed.

Back
Top Bottom