Dangling bits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well damn. :p

DSC00331crop.JPG

I have been wondering about something. While looking at youtube videos of dive trips at future destinations (Red Sea liveaboards, Malta wreck dives, Indonesia reef dives) I see all kinds of recreational divers with their gear hanging all over the place. Octos hanging loose, PSG and consoles hitting reefs, octo hoses attached but reaching so wide you could swim through…

What’s going on here? ...

Thoughts?

When I did my open water course (1986, in MO), no one used an octopus regulator (we buddy-breathed), and no one had even heard of DSMB's and attached reels/spools. And not too many years before then, people dove without SPG's.

People would strap a dive watch and a depth gauge on their wrist, and a BFK on their calf, and call it good.

Obviously, the issue you describe stems from modern gear! :)

rx7diver

Perhaps someone should craft a clever addition re dangly bits to the pre-dive checklist? Although the F for Final Check should include objects that may dangle...

But I have to agree with @rhwestfall , folks - including many DBs - just don't care....

BSAC certified divers (England) have extensive training in that whole
DANGLY BITS thing.

BSAC certified divers (England) have extensive training in that whole
DANGLY BITS thing.
Well it is cold water that causes retraction.

I hate flappy snag hazards. It makes me mad, everyone that dives with me I make sure they’re squared away and “tucked in nice and tight.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom