Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the models show Dean crossing over into the Pacific. Does that ever happen? Would they rename it in the Pacific nomenclature?

It does indeed look like it went south far enough to be easy on Cozumel. Desktop Weather Channel is showing 25 mph winds there at the moment, altho I'm sure the situation is still mixed - relieved at not getting a direct hit, but no cakewalk - plenty of problems. Glad I got out, wish the best for all there.

I was tempted to wish that it'd go south, and while my wishes don't make any differences - felt guilty about that, as I'd just be wishing bad on other Myans, Mexicans and Belizians. Hope they do as well as possible.

I think I'm still glad I helped talk the Canadian high school group into going home instead of inland. I've never been inland far, but I do expect flooding to be bad - the biggest killer in hurricanes historically.

ggunn:
Some of the models show Dean crossing over into the Pacific. Does that ever happen? Would they rename it in the Pacific nomenclature?
Yes, Atlantic hurricanes have crossed all the way to become Pacific hurricanes - I remember one or two that I've noticed.

I would think it would die pretty quickly once over the considerably cooler Pacific waters since these things get their energy from warm water. I'm not sure though, I'm no Meteorologist... it'll be interesting to see what happens to this monster.

I'm glad Coz was spared but it's not without a heavy heart for those to the south in Chetumal and Mahahual and those in the interior of the country that will be impacted in the coming days. If anything good can be said about it, at least it was a quick mover unlike Wilma.

DandyDon:
Yes, Atlantic hurricanes have crossed all the way to become Pacific hurricanes - I remember one or two that I've noticed.

would it get a new "pacific hurricane" name or would it stay Dean? :confused: Just wondering. Maggi

bobmaggi:
would it get a new "pacific hurricane" name or would it stay Dean? :confused: Just wondering. Maggi

According to Good Morning America, if it reforms in the Pacific it will get renamed.

Jinjer:
According to Good Morning America, if it reforms in the Pacific it will get renamed.

To "The Hurricane Formerly Known As Dean", maybe? ;^)

...lol!

If it qualifies as a named storm in the Pacific, it will receive a name from the Pacific list according to when.

Hurricane Greta-Olivia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hurricane Greta-Olivia was a Category 4 hurricane that crossed over Central America, changing names upon reaching the Eastern Pacific during the 1978 Atlantic hurricane season and 1978 Pacific hurricane season. Greta threatened to reproduce the devastating effects of Hurricane Fifi just four years prior, but the hurricane only caused 5 deaths.

Hurricane Cesar-Douglas
Hurricane Cesar was the third named storm of the 1996 Atlantic hurricane season. The Category 1 hurricane formed in late July in the Caribbean Sea and pounded Central America with rain, killing 67 people and causing local governments to deem the region a disaster area. After crossing Central America, the storm redeveloped in the eastern Pacific as Hurricane Douglas, which became part of the 1996 Pacific hurricane season and reached Category 4 strength in the open ocean.
There have been others.

Some Pacific storms have struck Central America heading east toward the Caribbean, but I don't think any have ever survived to be renamed on the Atlantic side.

It is unknown if the renamed storms ever suffer identity problems...? :silly:

Back
Top Bottom