Danger in buying "too much" computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that's a lot of dives on your lake. How does that work out preparing you for diving other sites? Hard to tell your experience since you do not log your dives, why? Do you have much experience outside of Lake Travis? I would imagine that ocean conditions, like current, may be quite different.

I dove actively from 2000 - 2005 and stopped when my wife got cancer. Picked up diving again last year. I easily have around 600 dives total. VA/PA quarries, DE/NJ/VA wreck diving. Miami, Upper Keys, Bahamas (3x trips on BlackBeard's), Jamaica, Cozumel, Rig diving in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm Rescue, Nitrox and Self-Reliant (Solo) certified.

Current does have an effect on diving. Navigation and exhaustion. I have experience with both and I've been walking 1-1.5 miles per day and have lost 27lbs in the past year. I'm finally getting to blue water again soon ( Blackbeard's in Sept) and I've given myself notice in terms of being physically ready.

I just don't like paperwork. If someone gets pleasure or value out of logging dives, go for it. I almost needed it for my solo class but my instructor saw me out on his boat frequently enough to know that I wasn't making this stuff up.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 09:26 PM ----------

You grow out of AI,not into it. :wink:

So true. A complete waste of money IMO.

.....I'm a math geek who is obsessive about numbers and graphs. .....
How about this?

divepal_zoop_20130618.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

You grow out of AI,not into it. :wink:

Very interesting...

Today's hiccup is that the battery is dead- so he said he would replace it. Is a computer more likely to have problems after a battery replacement?

It is, however, the Vytec DS. So, you know, I can do deep stops after my 60 foot dives... But at least it is the newer model.

I really know that the Zoop is enough computer for me, but it would be the more expensive option, and the Vytec gives me more to play with. But buying it makes me a little nervous, despite the fact that I get to inspect it before I pay etc, because due to where I live, I can't really dive with it right away to see how it does.

URGH! Maybe coin toss is the way to go.

---------- Post added June 19th, 2013 at 07:17 AM ----------

How about this?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Lovely! But with only 30 second sampling, and no air data- so much more could go on that :)
Maybe I'll just steal my husband's computer every other trip.

Very interesting...

Today's hiccup is that the battery is dead- so he said he would replace it. Is a computer more likely to have problems after a battery replacement?

It is, however, the Vytec DS. So, you know, I can do deep stops after my 60 foot dives... But at least it is the newer model.

I really know that the Zoop is enough computer for me, but it would be the more expensive option, and the Vytec gives me more to play with. But buying it makes me a little nervous, despite the fact that I get to inspect it before I pay etc, because due to where I live, I can't really dive with it right away to see how it does.

URGH! Maybe coin toss is the way to go.

---------- Post added June 19th, 2013 at 07:17 AM ----------

Lovely! But with only 30 second sampling, and no air data- so much more could go on that :)
Maybe I'll just steal my husband's computer every other trip.

Anytime the battery is replaced there is a chance for a leak, but only if someone is careless, it's not that hard of a job to do properly.

You are lucky your are not Sophie...toss the coin.

As far as battery replacement, it may not be that hard to do properly, but not that hard to screw up either on the Suuntos anyway IME. Maybe ask him to reduce the price by the cost of replacing the battery at a dive shop, one that can actually pressure test it after replacement. Or split the difference anyway. Then get it done yourself.

I think I've come to a decision. I'm going to get the Zoop.

The vytec is a really good deal, but not on something I need right now. I'd rather go with a computer that has a warranty, and some dealer support as I learn to use it. I'm bummed though. I would have looked so cool with my fancy computer -haha- my lack of buoyancy control would have given me away in moments. :)

I think I've come to a decision. I'm going to get the Zoop.

Please give us an AAR after you've used it a while, especially in comparison to your husband's Vyper Air. I'm very interested to see if the Vyper Air is "too much" and if the Zoop is "just enough". Sounds like an underwater Goldilocks :D

If you buy another computer in a few years, the Zoop can serve as a backup. That's what I use my Zoop for. I bought it as a backup for my Suunto D6. It will not be a wasted purchase no matter how you proceed in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom