Danger in buying "too much" computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for my first computer and had settled on Suunto Zoop. I got a kind offer for a very good price on the Suunto Vytec. Looking through the manual, this computer does way more than I will ever need. But the price is -right- and although it isn't including a transmitter for air integration, I can add one later, and that is a feature that really interests me.

As a beginner, is there any reason to not get 'too much computer' or that advice generally because money would be wasted to buy something high end?

Also, are there any major concerns with buying a discontinued product? Should I be really worried that it won't have a warranty? The computer in question is said to be 2 years old, and used on one shallow dive, but replaced because the owner wanted an integrated compass.

The Zoop is a solid computer and considered basic. It will do what you need for a long time however there is NOT an option for a transmitter to make it air integrated. For the cost of it I wouldn't worry about the warranty. . Plus you already bought it so why worry now! Adding a small spg clipped on your left side will make this a nice compact way of diving.

The only danger of buying too much computet would be cost and ease of use. You don't want a cluttered system that requires a manual to figure out what you are looking at

Plus you already bought it so why worry now!

Haven't bought it yet. I had decided I would, since it is a good enough computer for me and in the right price range, but then I got the offer for the Vytec. The Vytec will cost a few dollars less than the Zoop when all is said and done. The Zoop would be new though.

I think the Zoop is an excellent first computer. You want something that's easy to understand and uncomplicated. The Zoop fits the bill just fine. Buy the Zoop and put any additional money to other equipment and training.

Buy the Zoop and put any additional money to other equipment and training.

The Zoop is going to cost about $40 more in this scenario, but point taken about uncomplicated. As much as $40 is a lot of money, in the grand scheme of diving, it isn't at all... Expensive hobby! (As the dive shop owner pointed out: it's not the gear that kills you, it's the trips!)

I am completely torn as to what to do. The Zoop really seems to be all I need, but the Vytec is a fabulous price and offers more room to grow. (Though AI is the only thing I'll probably grow into... cannot ever imagine myself doing multiple gases in one dive, for instance.)

Last edited:
...cannot ever imagine myself doing multiple gases in one dive, for instance.)

If you ever do, there will likely will be a better system out that you'll be wanting. For now, stay with simplicity.

Spending more for a fancier computer than you need is only a problem if it's harder to use and you don't understand what you're doing. Or if you can't really afford it and it prevents you from buying more important stuff (or from diving more!) Seems to me most of the current Suuntos are similar in operation and display, aside from more stuff in the menus when there's more features. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt the Vytec is much harder to use than the Zoop if you're not using stuff beyond the basic features.

Spending LESS for what seems like a great deal on a fancy/lightly-used computer, than on a simple new computer, is a tougher call. If you think you will have an itch for air integration soon, the Vytec would make sense. OTOH new with a warranty is nice to have - though I wouldn't worry about the warranty on something like this too much, assuming you trust the "only driven by a grandmother on Sunday" description.

If you thought you would get into tech diving and use the multi-gas features someday, that may seem to be a reason to go with the Vytec. But that would be so far down the road, with good odds of wanting something else when you did it, and the cost of tech diving so high anyway this is a drop in the bucket, that I'm not sure that comes into play here. (I wonder which would have better resale value in a few years?)

I'm with others buy the Zoop, it's all need and possibly all you'll ever need, as new it will come with a warranty. If years down the track and you move to more technical diving its likely there will be something way flashier on the market anyway.

The Zoop is a very reliable, simple to use computer. I owned a Gekko, previous model, for several years before I lost it, long story of personal stupidity, it never missed a beat and the battery went on forever.

Buy the Zoop and get a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount for it and go diving.

, assuming you trust the "only driven by a grandmother on Sunday" description.

That is exactly how I described it to my husband :)
The seller has offered to send it to me so I can inspect it before paying him, so it seems about as trustworthy as I can get for an internet message board offering.

The only thing I see as a benefit to the Vytec is the potential to go air integrated, and to save a few bucks. At this point, I'm leaning towards Zoop, but am interested in what others have to say. I'm really indecisive so I've been swinging back and forth which way to go every other minute.

That is exactly how I described it to my husband :)
The seller has offered to send it to me so I can inspect it before paying him, so it seems about as trustworthy as I can get for an internet message board offering.

The only thing I see as a benefit to the Vytec is the potential to go air integrated, and to save a few bucks. At this point, I'm leaning towards Zoop, but am interested in what others have to say. I'm really indecisive so I've been swinging back and forth which way to go every other minute.

Did I mention I'd buy the Zoop....:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom