My dive computer is too conservative, what can I do ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve found that my Zoop (and Vyper before that) were fine unless I was doing multiple days a day over a string of days. If I did three or four dives a day by about the fourth day the Sunnto units were noticeably reducing my NDL times.

If I did the same pattern, then skipped two days things seem to be back to normal.

I now have a Shearwater Petrel 2, and don’t run into the same problem

Given your extensive dive schedule, I would posit that getting a cheaper backup computer with Buhlman that closely matched the Teric would be a better strategy than schlepping that D4 POS around the world with you.

Teric has been good to me. In 3 years, over 600 dives logged in, I had only 2 problems. First was the depth sensor caput. Second was the broken antenna. So, I don’t want to waste money and learning new dive computer unnecessarily for a non emergency thing that I can do without and statistically low to occur.

Keep things simple. I do have SPG as a backup when the transmitter breaks.

Hello hello,

Here's my problem. I've just bought a Suunto Zoop Novo, but I realise that the algorithm used is on average significantly more conservative than that of the dive computers of the people I dive with (for example Aqualung). I'm not at all in favour of excessive risk-taking, but I'm thinking more and more that Suunto's conservatism isn't really justified, since other computers allow longer NDLs at the same depth (again, I'm thinking in particular of Aqualung), and yet they're widely used by dive clubs all over the world, without causing a significantly higher number of accidents (tell me if I'm wrong on this point). I realise the same thing when I compare the NDL given by my Suunto with the PADI dive tables, which are also more liberal.

I'd also like to stick with my dive computer as I like everything else so much.

I was thinking of a solution that would allow me to slightly reduce the conservatism of my computer: set it to an O2 level slightly higher than the one I actually use (Nitrox 25% if I dive with air, for example), so as to obtain results close to the PADI dive table when I plan my dives with the computer.

Is this taking a risk? What could be dangerous?

Thx a lot for your responses !
Had this exact same issue with my Suunto...I decided to not dive Nitrox on a recent trip and kept on air since I was only doing 2 dives/day. I was diving private and my guide had a Garmin, and I wasn't paying close attention to the NDL limit because I was following my guide closely (maybe too close...got a few well-deserved fin whacks to the face). I ended up hitting a deco dive, without realizing it and consequently got locked out of my watch for 48 hours. Again totally my fault and lesson well learned, but realistically, thats 3 days of diving I was locked out of. His never even had a warning let alone hit a deco dive and we had practically identical diving profiles

I totally accept some fault here because I should have been paying attention to my watch and indicated I need to go up a little, but we had very similar dives as I like to follow a bit too closely so it was pretty surprising to say the least

Had this exact same issue with my Suunto...I decided to not dive Nitrox on a recent trip and kept on air since I was only doing 2 dives/day. I was diving private and my guide had a Garmin, and I wasn't paying close attention to the NDL limit because I was following my guide closely (maybe too close...got a few well-deserved fin whacks to the face). I ended up hitting a deco dive, without realizing it and consequently got locked out of my watch for 48 hours. Again totally my fault and lesson well learned, but realistically, thats 3 days of diving I was locked out of. His never even had a warning let alone hit a deco dive and we had practically identical diving profiles

I totally accept some fault here because I should have been paying attention to my watch and indicated I need to go up a little, but we had very similar dives as I like to follow a bit too closely so it was pretty surprising to say the least
Was your guide diving air or Nitrox? What GF was his Garmin set to?

LOL, you dive air and buddy dives nitrox and it is surprising that one person has a lot more nodeco time? What is surprising is your lack of awareness of a very basic benefit of nitrox.

you dive air and buddy dives nitrox and it is surprising that one person has a lot more nodeco time? What is surprising is your lack of awareness of a very basic benefit of nitrox.

This is an assumption that looks to have been made just to support a hateful :monkeybutt: follow up comment. Yes this is the advanced forum, but a completely unnecessary response. Picking on people who are trying to learn and new to Scubaboard like this is uncalled for.

@msjackiechu thanks for sharing your learnings and hope you hang around and keep posting and diving.

LOL, you dive air and buddy dives nitrox and it is surprising that one person has a lot more nodeco time? What is surprising is your lack of awareness of a very basic benefit of nitrox.
He was not on nitrox 🤣 I should have probably added why i made the nitrox comment was I did nitrox on a liveaboard and didnt get the same issue doing many dives/deeper dives, but I think I forgot that context.

This is an assumption that looks to have been made just to support a hateful :monkeybutt: follow up comment. Yes this is the advanced forum, but a completely unnecessary response. Picking on people who are trying to learn and new to Scubaboard like this is uncalled for.

@msjackiechu thanks for sharing your learnings and hope you hang around and keep posting and diving.
Hahaa thanks for the kindness, I probably should have added more color to the nitrox comment 🤷‍♀️ but yeah none of us were on nitrox everyone is on air hahahha

Was your guide diving air or Nitrox? What GF was his Garmin set to?
No he was on air- literally not a single person on four boats used nitrox. Not sure about what his watch was set on 🤔

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom