Danger in buying "too much" computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did I mention I'd buy the Zoop....:wink:

Well, that settles it... :)

I'm just worried about the air integration. It seems like it would be a pain to always have to be checking your wrist and your console. Then again, I don't really have a great idea of how often you really have to be checking. I'm still a bit paranoid about safety, so it seems like looking in one place would be a really nice thing. Of course, I wouldn't be getting the AI for awhile, so the problem still exists.

I wouldn't discount the Hollis DG03. It's $249 + $19 for the DSS bungee mount. Right now it's a little more computer then I need but it has three features that I could easily need within the next couple years:

1) 3 Gas Switch
2) up to 100% FO2
3) Gauge Mode

I could end up taking AN/DP any time and once I do I'll either be using features 1 and 2 or I'll be cutting tables and using feature 3.

There's nothing wrong with your reasoning about air integration (AI). That is, some people find it more convenient to look at only a single display to see their no-deco time AND their remaining air supply. However, there is another school of thought out there that worries that if their AI computer malfunctions, they may not know how much no-deco time they have left and/or may not know how much air they have left. In other words, some people find it more reassuring to have a separate SPG that shows their remaining air--separate from their computer, that is. The likelihood of a traditional analog SPG malfunctioning is very very low. Of course, the likelihood of a dive computer of any type, AI or not, malfunctioning is already pretty low. My wife has an AI computer, and on every major dive trip she brings along a small SPG as a backup. In the event her AI computer malfunctions such that it stops displaying her remaining air, she can do further dives by attaching the backup SPG and using a non-AI backup computer that we also bring (or dive using tables instead of any computer). You can compute your no-deco time using tables as a last resort, but you can't dive without knowing how much air you have in your tank.

I'm just worried about the air integration. It seems like it would be a pain to always have to be checking your wrist and your console. Then again, I don't really have a great idea of how often you really have to be checking. I'm still a bit paranoid about safety, so it seems like looking in one place would be a really nice thing. Of course, I wouldn't be getting the AI for awhile, so the problem still exists.

The reality is it's not a problem, initially when you are new to diving its a good idea to check your gauge regularly but over time you start to know how much air you're likely to have at any given depth/time so check less often. I, unless hitting current or other such adverse condition, usually check my air at around 30 minutes and maybe on any given dive might only check my air 4 times, sometimes less. As you become more confident and more knowledgable as to your own air consumption you will not need to check so frequently.

I'm a big fan, unless a change is in the immediate future, of buying what you need and will use now and not something you don't need but might use in the future.

Good luck with your decision, I empathise as I too often struggle to make decisions about whether to buy A or B.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 09:44 AM ----------

Whatever dive computer model you purchase, make sure to learn how to properly use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Welcome back Alberto...:wink:

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 09:47 AM ----------

I wouldn't discount the Hollis DG03. It's $249 + $19 for the DSS bungee mount. Right now it's a little more computer then I need but it has three features that I could easily need within the next couple years:

1) 3 Gas Switch
2) up to 100% FO2
3) Gauge Mode

I could end up taking AN/DP any time and once I do I'll either be using features 1 and 2 or I'll be cutting tables and using feature 3.

That's a nice price.

You will (hopefully) check both a lot in the beginning. But after awhile you will probably check air less in general (because you'll start to use less, and also just get to know without looking.) And you'll check each more or less depending on what you're doing at the time, and not necessarily want to check both at the same time. So what you perceive as an advantage now, having them in one place, you may soon discover is no big deal.

Many people have no interest in air integration and prefer to have a regular pressure gauge. Some that use air integration also feel the need to have a backup pressure gauge anyway. AI is a nice to have feature that some people like, but not a safety advantage.

Thanks buddhasummer, Lorenzoid, and damselfish on thoughts on AI/consule spg. I would definitely have a backup spg even if I get the AI (husband got AI for his, he went with Vyper Air- we got a really great deal, but that was too much money for me.)

I think with the whole idea of a 'back up computer', so if I buy the Zoop now, when I want AI, I can buy a new computer and have a backup. Since it sounds like 'back up computer' is becoming more common, this takes care of that step :) If I was comparing the regular price of the Vytec, this would be a no-brainer decision, but being less than the Zoop complicates it.

Husband got something fancier because I have no doubt he'll dive more than me. He left the classes saying "I can't wait to get wreck certified! I want to learn to night dive! Caves sound so cool!" I left going "I think I should do more pool time before I do the OW dives." Spending a lot of money doesn't make sense for me. I don't know how much local diving I'll be able to do, because I was told yesterday that I cannot rent a drysuit due to my size (I'm short). The 7mm wetsuits really sucked, so I'm not sure how much I'm really going to want to deal with that. So diving will be limited to a once or twice a year vacations.

Looking at pictures though, the interface of the Vytec looks the same as the Zoop, in it's air mode. So I could just ignore advanced features until I'm ready for them. Is the Vytec actually more complicated to use?

Are computers something that people don't recommend getting used?

I don't think there is such a thing as too much computer. If I had listened to others I would have bought one computer. Now I am on my third and may switch again for tech diving.

One of the nice things about the Vytec is the size of the display. I don't know how old you are, but especially in low light, computers with small screens can be difficult to read for those of us with a bit of presbyopia.

They are both Nitrox-capable, which I think is the minimum anyone should buy. The Vytec has a lot of capabilities you may not ever use, but the computer's feelings won't be hurt if it isn't asked to exercise those :) Straightforward operation in air or Nitrox mode is very easy on both. You can download the Vytec to your laptop for logging; I'm not sure if you can do that with the Zoop.

In my experience, warranty doesn't mean much with computers, unless they fail immediately. The biggest problem with them tends to be battery replacement, which is easily handled by any shop that carries the brand, and isn't covered under warranty, anyway. When my Vytec went down, it had to be sent to Finland for examination, and in the end, it wasn't replaced anyway.

Back
Top Bottom