Danger in buying "too much" computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm bummed though. I would have looked so cool with my fancy computer -haha- my lack of buoyancy control would have given me away in moments. :)
I'm glad you wrote this.

A lot of people buy more computer than they need because they somehow feel it will show the world that they are advanced divers using advanced equipment. In reality, the basic computer (like the Zoop or others like it) is all 90% of the world's divers really need. Many of the cool features on the more "advanced" computers have no real value for almost all divers.

Let's take, for example, the ability of some computers to use three different nitrox mixes. When do you plan on doing this? Does the average diver with such a computer even know why you would ever use three different nitrox mixes on the same dive? There is a use of it, but it is in the realm of technical diving. So let's say that a couple of years down the road you decide to take technical diving classes. You will find that for the first couple of certifications, which will take a long time to complete, your tech instructor probably won't let you use ANY computer. If you find one that will let you use one, either right away or after the first few certifications, you will find the instructor will want you to use a technical computer, not the recreational one you bought years ago with the 3 mix capability. He will probably suggest one that can handle helium mixes, too. And so now, years down the road, you will wish you had bought a technical computer instead--except you will realize you were wise not do do that, because there will no doubt be a newer, better, cheaper one on the market by then.

Let's take, for example, the ability of some computers to use three different nitrox mixes. When do you plan on doing this? Does the average diver with such a computer even know why you would ever use three different nitrox mixes on the same dive? There is a use of it, but it is in the realm of technical diving. So let's say that a couple of years down the road you decide to take technical diving classes. You will find that for the first couple of certifications, which will take a long time to complete, your tech instructor probably won't let you use ANY computer.

Except that the Suunto Zoop AFAIK doesn't have a gauge mode. And the Holllis DG03 can be had for $249 and can be bungee mounted so WHY NOT buy it? It doesn't cost anymore and it future proofs you for quite a way out.

When that newer better one ( OLED, Full Trimix and so on ) comes out you have a backup computer with gauge mode and you didn't spend a penny more then you had to. I apply the same logic to my entire rig. I don't have to have BP/W, long hose, bungee compass, computer, Jetfin style fins and so on for recreational diving. But I got really good prices on every single piece of that and I won't have to throw any of it away if I sign up for AN/DP.

Your logic is otherwise sound, but the data points ($$$) don't support it.

Except that the Suunto Zoop AFAIK doesn't have a gauge mode. And the Holllis DG03 can be had for $249 and can be bungee mounted so WHY NOT buy it? It doesn't cost anymore and it future proofs you for quite a way out.

When that newer better one ( OLED, Full Trimix and so on ) comes out you have a backup computer with gauge mode and you didn't spend a penny more then you had to. I apply the same logic to my entire rig. I don't have to have BP/W, long hose, bungee compass, computer, Jetfin style fins and so on for recreational diving. But I got really good prices on every single piece of that and I won't have to throw any of it away if I sign up for AN/DP.

Your logic is otherwise sound, but the data points ($$$) don't support it.

And if you can find anything I actually said that is different, point it out. I just said don't buy more computer than you need. I didn't specify a brand at all. I wrote " the basic computer (like the Zoop or others like it)."

Let's take, for example, the ability of some computers to use three different nitrox mixes.

That screamed Hollis DG03 to me... The point is there are advanced computers at a basic price point.

I'm glad you wrote this.

Yeah, I knew from square one, that the Vytec was more computer than I needed. (Hence the thread wondering if there was a reason NOT to buy too much computer, except money- because in this case the fancy computer cost less.) The only feature I'd really want is the air integration, but I can always buy another one later.

I'm never going to be a tech diver.

I'm never going to be a tech diver.
That's what I said, probably within a year of becoming one. I also said I would never dive in a dry suit. Even after I had been a tech diver for a while, I said I would never be a cave diver.

As John Lennon said, life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

That's what I said, probably within a year of becoming one. I also said I would never dive in a dry suit. Even after I had been a tech diver for a while, I said I would never be a cave diver.

No, I'm WAY too risk adverse. Just scuba diving is a huge step for me. My husband is going to need to find a new buddy :)

I've said for years that I don't want to be a tech / cave or pro diver. But I know that it's inevitable that I'll do one of them eventually.

For me, becoming a tech diver isn't about doing risky dives. It's about developing knowledge, skills and a mindset that promotes safety on all dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom