DAN Members, DAN Insurance, are you, do you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. The point about inexperienced divers being the most common person in accidents is a good one. I don't have the numbers that you do but it makes sense.

Nobody has presented the annual numbers for how the for-profit insurance division funds are spent. I could be convinced that these rates are not excessive if the real losses (medical payments and such) aren't a small percentage of the premiums collected. For now, I still recommend you invest your $100 somewhere else.

This was a post to ask all here on SB of what their opinion was of DAN.
It turned into a snowball with all the answers.
I would like to thank everybody for their responses.
But there is another thread that is warning the downside of DAN.
and I will link it.
http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=89277

Regarding the topic...
No DAN insurance.

Went to my LDS yesterday for some advice on insurance and was actually advised against going to DAN (Europe) for insurance. It had something to do with DAN Europe not being recommended (any more) by PADI for some vague reason. Must admit that I don't know the details and cannot verify if that statement is correct or if it was a blunt sales trick (then again, the LDS does not sell the policy).

I got the advise to get insurance elsewhere and left the shop with a folder of a Dutch insurance company offering a policy specially for divers/diving.

Could it be because PADI has it's own insurance company????!!!!

Jan76:
Regarding the topic...
No DAN insurance.

Went to my LDS yesterday for some advice on insurance and was actually advised against going to DAN (Europe) for insurance. It had something to do with DAN Europe not being recommended (any more) by PADI for some vague reason. Must admit that I don't know the details and cannot verify if that statement is correct or if it was a blunt sales trick (then again, the LDS does not sell the policy).

I got the advise to get insurance elsewhere and left the shop with a folder of a Dutch insurance company offering a policy specially for divers/diving.

That could be it. There are some others, too. As you look deeper into DAN, the more complex the money gets to track down. I guess we are back to free enterprise. If DAN charges too much, others will get into the market (actually, they already have) and the price will go down.

dlndavid:
How many of you are DAN members? And how many have DAN's dive insurance?
Just wanted to open up a discussion on this subject, as I was thinking about signing up.
Any input is welcome.
Thanks,
David
I'm a member and have been for several years. I surrender my money to Insurance companies like I lend out my car: very carefully. But, be warned DAN and just about every other dive insurance out there is SUPPLIMENTAL! WHAT This means for you and me is that you have to have a regular primary health insurance provider. Now, with that in mind, my regular insurance don't pay for pressure chamber treatments and helicopter rides. Nor do they cover any emergency related (as long as it's in some way related to a dive trip) costs like stolen dive gear (I know, I know TSA will be there, so I won't need to lock or worry about my gear on American airplane rides,not) from various worldwide locations as well as getting me and my wife/dive buddy home 4 days later than expected (or ticketed) due to a trip to the chamber. Me, personally I look at as just another form of pay-off in the world of bribes and bad juju. You'll probably never need it till you don't have it.

Someone has to be crazy not to belong to dan. It's like driving without insurance. I was in a terrible dive accident this past July and had to be flown out of a remote diving area. Not only did Dan pay for the whole thing but made all the arrangements. Try doing that from a remote area after 5pm when your main health insurer is closed for the day.
Ted

racerbruce:
..snip..
But, be warned DAN and just about every other dive insurance out there is SUPPLIMENTAL! WHAT This means for you and me is that you have to have a regular primary health insurance provider.
..snip..

I discussed this with DAN and they told me that there is no obligation to have a primary insurer. However if you do, then (and only then) DAN becomes supplementary.

There is no primary insurer filled in on my DAN policy.

I know I'm late to the party here but in appreciation for all of the info accumulated, I thought I'd offer my two-cents.

In trying to determine my "need" for DAN (or other) dive insurance, I found it helpful to call my local dive medical center and get a sample of DCS-related treatment codes (note: not diagnosis codes, which DAN provides readily) and relay them to my insurer to assess to what extent, if any, they provided coverage.

The most comprehensive list of medical centers I could find was here:
http://www.uhms.org/Chambers/CHAMBER DIRECTORY2.asp

Hope this is helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom