Custom Metal Fabricating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey gang I need some ideas. I've had a metal fabricating business here on Long Island for over 25 years. We mostly cater to the construction trades. I was thinking of adding some diversity by fabricating products that can be used by divers. Over the years we have fabricated items for the sport and commercial fisherman here on the island such as:Radar Arches, Rocket Launchers, Pulpits, Railings etc. mostly out of aluminum and stainless steel. I have computerized pipe and tubing benders and employ certified Tig and Mig welders. We also have Anodizers, Galvanizers and Powder Coaters that we deal with quite often. What kind of items may be needed on dive boats or used by shore divers or treasure hunters? I'm interested in production items that I can mass produce and ship wherever as well as 1 time custom items. I was thinking about wreck anchors,ladders,benches for gearing up,tank racks etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!:D Any prototype ideas????

I need you.

How about portable benches and racks that can be secured but easily removed so as not to permanently alter the boat?

tank wracks like Pelican makes.

Shark cages / lift system

dock carts

portable tank rack/ seat for donning tank on pleasure boats

Oh and I you my dear!:D Exactly the type of feed back I hoped for, great ideas!
Portable benches.. OK now in what sizes? I notice a lot of the smaller 6packs down in Fla. use Island Hopper type boats. Is it safe to say like in the 24'- 30' long range with a usable cockpit length between 7' and 10'? Being a six pack I guess 3 or 4 divers per side with xtra tanks stored elsewherefor 2 tank trips? I actually made the aluminum frames for a set of benches for a diver here and he bolted his own wood to them, I made brackets for them to clip onto the boats gunwales so that he could remove them. I'll have to take a ride down to the dock and take some measurements.
I'll ck out the pelican design, thanks!
Shark Cages wow your right they are aluminum too, there goes my liability insurance!
Dock Carts now theres something I can mass produce! I have an idea of something similar but I will make a prototype and do a patent search on it before I unveil!:wink:
Now the only problem is that you couldn't possibly be farther away form me and still be in the United States! I would think the cost of shipping might match the product price :(

Actually there might not be a need to cry! I just cked ups ground to LA is only $ 84. for a 100 pound item.It wouldn't let me ck hawaii. Maybe fed ex?

you couldn't click it cause nobody wants to do it. Trust me, we suffer here.

Don't fret! I cked fed ex ground $215. After your ScubaBoard discount and all the commission you'll make promoting my products to your fellow divers the shipping wouldn't even be an issue! And after we get our first snow here in a couple of weeks we'll see who is suffering!!

you can also do light heads for people who want to build there own cave light or aka canister lights if you can make them for a good pice you have a large market on them i would buy at least 20 my self for the right price. they are made in al. so there not that heavy .but any thing that wont rust would work

mirrocraft:
you can also do light heads for people who want to build there own cave light or aka canister lights if you can make them for a good pice you have a large market on them i would buy at least 20 my self for the right price. they are made in al. so there not that heavy .but any thing that wont rust would work

Thanks Mirror, Who makes them now so I can get a look at them?

es601:
Thanks Mirror, Who makes them now so I can get a look at them?

You want to check the DIY forum for divelights here on scuba board. They will give you links to other websites so you can have an idea about what people are doing. Most of these DIY lights seem to use a cut down maglite as a head. The people one that forum are nice and love talking about their lights. Perhaps you can contact a few and see what the most difficult parts are for them to fabricate and start there. Also there is a book called "The Divelight Companion" from Airspeed press, you can take a look at their designs and see where you can add value by simplifying the process.

Perhaps you can also work on fabricating a canister design. There are a lot of defunct divelight makers out there. I am sure you can copy their designs without getting into legal trouble. I would talk to some of the local technical diveshops in your area and get their opinions.

Divelights are too damn expensive. I am sure that there is a cheaper way of doing it.

Another thing you may want to look at is backplates. That is something else I do not understand the price on.

Boats for diving always need stuff, platforms on the back, ladders, towers, tank racks. Vans can use a nice removable aluminum angle frame bed platform with storage for tanks underneath. I'd buy a kayak transporter with a good design and beach wheels for $100, I've already had all the other stuff fabricated.

Back
Top Bottom