Curacao wildlife report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monday morning the dolphins swam with our boat for about 10 min. in front of Kalki.
When we started the dive they came close enough to be just seen in the blue.
No whales though.
The current took us from Kalki almost to the airplane.
Then on the second dive we started all the way at the West end and the current took us East.
Usually with the current comes good vis and Mon was no exception.

Attachments

• Looking for Dolphins.jpg
    Looking for Dolphins.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Queens day.jpg
    Queens day.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 46
OK Curacao divers have you seen this fish? When and where? For extra credit name the fish without going to Humann.
Sorry for the bad pics but these dudes are small [hint] and fast.:confused:

Attachments

• Centro.jpg
    Centro.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Centro (1).jpg
    Centro (1).jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 65
My Paul Humann book is shreiking for me to open it. My self discipline is killing me! So for that, I am going to throw out two guesses as well :wink:

1) Damselfish of some sort
2) Flameback Angel

Don't look.:no:
Have you ever seen one , and have you seen one in Curacao? If so where?

What can I say except that I am a weak, weak person. I am saying this as I place Mr. Humann's book back on the shelf. I will not spoil the suspense by disclosing Mr. Humann's findings. I did not see one in Curacao(I also did not see the Hammerhead, Dolphins, Whale AND calf, Manta, Flying Grunard, or Yeti) but when diving in Grand Cayman my friend managed to photograph the above fish. They are beautiful. What a find!

It is a Flame Back Angelfish,Centropyge aurantonotus.
I had never seen one here and they are uncommon in general, said to be a deep water fish.
But this and many others were seen at 25 feet in a large colony with Pygmy Angels C. argi [Cherub fish] and there was obviously a lot of interbreeding because the Pygmies had small orange stripes down their backs.
Hope I can find the spot again as the site was roughed up a bit with Omar and I can't find anybody who wants to go diving in 25 feet of water for a few hours to find a little fish!

smb:

If you can wait until August I will be glad to go with you.

You are right in my wheelhouse at 25 feet looking for unusual critters. Cherub fish are not easy to find nor photograph. A Flameback Angel picture would be a real treat.

Pygmy Angels are a new one to me as well.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom