Curacao wildlife report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More,
The Sand diver or lizard fish is an ambush predator with a large mouth and a heads up appearance. You can get quiet close to them as they rely on camouflage.
The Gurnard is a heads down "walker " on the bottom using little ventral fins to walk and dig. They have a small mouth comparatively. They are shy and easily spooked.

So if you can get close it will be a Sand Diver most times [plus Divers are way more common]. The Gurnard in this photo was "distracted" by something it just found to eat
allowing the close up. This was taken from ~10 inches with a 10-17mm wide angle zoom set at 17mm. Not the preferred set up but I got lucky to get so close.

Attachments

• Sand Diver.jpg
    Sand Diver.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Flying G.jpg
    Flying G.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 59
I just want to say it is snowing outside where I am. That's all. No flying Gurnard; just geese. And snow.

Awesome pics. Thanks for the smile.

I just want to say it is snowing outside where I am. That's all. No flying Gurnard; just geese. And snow.

You must live in Wisconsin......:shakehead:

No, not that bad, but it isn't Curacao. But I will be singing a different tune in about 60 days. :D

Today was turtle day on the West End.
Great dive one way on the current from Kalki almost to Watamula.
Turtles, a ray, lots of Angels and baby Mushrooms! with pink sponges.

Attachments

• 66 Hawksbill (1).jpg
    66 Hawksbill (1).jpg
    347 KB · Views: 57
  • 66 Hawksbill.jpg
    66 Hawksbill.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 66 Little Mushrooms.jpg
    66 Little Mushrooms.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 51
I didn't get wet today, well... it did rain for 20 or 30 minutes late this morning... but
This morning a friend and I were watching David from the deck. A neighbor recruited him to dive down and fix his mooring. As we sat we noticed a pod of dolphins maybe 30 yards behind him and hoped he wasn't concentrating too hard not to notice (he was). While watching the dolphins, I noticed a spout of water a couple of hundred yards out and then a fin, a fluke, a tail, a whale! I sent Jude down with mask fins and snorkel to get David and the boat for a closer look. They exited stage right instead of heading due west. As they came back to shore I noticed one of the whales frolicking on her side much like those silly unicorns and unnoticed. Back home David insisted we saw the pelicans splashing around, pelicans? He sat with the binoculars and finally saw, I think the mother humpback and her calf. Maybe I haven't been looking far enough off shore, I will tomorrow.
Stan, there have been a lot of turtles these last couple of months, great shots! I've also heard the current has been strange at this end.

I guess I better bring binoculars when I come.

Back
Top Bottom