Curacao wildlife report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you ID the little jawfish in the newest (and last for this trip :depressed: ) batch of photos? Wee 'lil jawfish His head is only 3mm or 4mm wide ... gotta have a sharp eye on the reef.

Yes - I think his name is Jeff.

Toodles,

C.

Hi!

Any of you wants to come to Germany to spot some more marine wildlife? I had quite some fun diving the Baltic Sea on Thursday and Lake Hemmoor yesterday - we found big turbots, a codling, eelpouts, scorpionfish, tons of gobies, plenty of crayfish and a big swarm of roaches in a sunken forest at Lake Hemmoor; no sharks or seahorses, but still not too bad :) Water temperatures 14°C/57°F and below.

Greetings from Hamburg
Andreas
><(((0>

Last week a pilot whale washed ashore. Volunteers tried to save the animal by pushing it back to sea, but it came back again. They then took the animal under intensive care, providing fresh herring and a veterinarian provided antibiotics and they kept watching.
Now it look like he is slowly recovering.
Here is the newspaper article :
Amigoe.com - Amigoe English: Pilot whale at Jan Thiel is slowly recovering

Today I heard a story, but from a fairly credible friend that someone was fishing with his kids in a small boat in Spanish Waters and managed to snag a reef shark. It pulled them quite a ways before tiring. The guy lifted the shark up beside the boat so the kids could get a picture and then it wriggled out of his arms and swam away. If it's not true, it's a pretty cute story. Maybe folks down toward Santa Barbara or Jan Sofat could collaborate this tale.

So nice to hear from the Crowley bunch. hope you are all well and I miss my island, keep it safe until I come back

A salp is not very known in our waters. In fact when we asked different divemasters and instructors they all said: a What ? Never heard of.
This week we saw a salp at the Portomari reef at a dept of 40 feet.

3113%20%28Medium%29.jpg

The Jellieszone website Pelagic Tunicates gives the following explanation:

"The salps (Class Thaliacea, Order Salpida) include the most commonly encountered pelagic tunicates. Salps can form massive aggregations of millions of individuals that may play a significant role in marine ecosystems. They exhibit among the fastest growth rates of any multicellular organism. A transparent test encloses the cylindrical body, and may be relatively thick and tough with projections and keels. Using rhythmic contractions of bands of circular muscles within the body wall, movement by jet propulsion is accomplished by regulating the action of sphincter muscles that open and close anterior and posterior openings. This also serves to pump plankton-laden water through the body, where a mucous net is used to extract food particles. The number and pattern of muscle bands is useful in distinguishing species."

K.

At first I thought it was a squid egg sac. Sounds like an amazing creature.

Back
Top Bottom