Crickets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea2summit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Holy cow T2T is dead. Maybe this will help.

I've recently come to the conclusion I became a technical diver totally on accident and now I'm getting invites to do dives that require support divers.

So here's some questions for the group.

How did you get into technical diving?
What is your favorite technical dive? (if you have a favorite rec dive that's cool to add in too)
Any future goals with technical diving?
What is one piece of equipment you really want?

So for me.

Never considered it just wanted to be a good diver and kept taking classes and before I knew it I was doing deco procedures and the rest is history. I think the love of diving and seeing new stuff kept me coming back for more and the experiences always reinforce my desire to dive more.

What is your favorite technical dive? (if you have a favorite rec dive that's cool to add in too)
I got to do Eagle's nest this spring and that is an awesome system but my favorite dive is a the Princess Kathleen in Alaska max depth 150' with about 300' of shipwreck to explore, stern steering station on a day with good vis I could just sit there all day looking at it pondering the stories that some of the mates probably swapped there while smoking or whatever.

Keep doing it as long as possible for me. Don't have any desire to go supper deep or do anything crazy. Found a wreck at 365' I'm interested in but risk/reward isn't there while I've got little ones at home.

Camera with a housing capable of handling real depth. I've played with friends camera's some but never enough to get anything good and I've seen so much cool stuff I'd really like to share with friends and family.

Okay you guys are up.

Josh

i wanted to cave dive from ow post-cert dive 2. all my dives from then on were with that goal in mind. i've loved every cave dive i've done but one, and most other dives, too - even the quarry ones. so that's why i'm doing overheads - i just love it.

perhaps mix sometime, but i'm happy with my current certs & don't have any real plans for more. after last year of app/full/adv nit/deco, not having class planned feels pretty good.

ooh, equipment - hmm. i'm feeling satisfied, there, too. my last wish was fulfilled with the predator.

this ain't natural - a diver happy with cert levels & gear...the world is about to end, i guess! :wink:

My wife made me do it...really! I was happy with reefs and wrecks. She wanted to dive caves. So we took a cavern course. I was hooked during that course. I haven't looked back since!

I'm not big on the deep dives. Eagle's Nest was cool, but I'd rather spend 2 hours diving and 30 minutes decompressing than the other way around. I like to just get on my scooter and cruise around the passages in Jackson Blue or Hole in the Wall and learn the caves. It sucks to have to start heading out.

Rebreather diving. It's in the horizon...just as soon as I can afford the rebreather!

A rebreather!

How'd I get into technical diving? I took Fundies. All the educational materials were full of pictures of people cave diving. I watched a couple of cave diving videos, and it was all over. Cave diving was something I simply HAD to do.

I got my tech cert for two reasons: because there were a couple of specific dives I wanted to do (cloud sponges in BC, for example) that, to be worth doing, needed to be executed as proper staged decompression dives, and because my next cave class was going to involve stages and deco, and I wanted a head start.

Favorite technical dive: Cave, it's Pet Cemetery to the Blue Abyss. So far, that's the most amazing line I've done. Tech, I'd have to say it was the dive we did on the Numidia in the Red Sea. Incredible viz, tons of color, and the world's longest 20 foot stop, as we swam back along cascading, spectacular coral walls to rejoin the ship.

Future goals? To do a bunch more cave diving! I'm Full Cave now, and really don't see any other classes in my immediate future, except maybe a survey course. There's a lot of cave to see in MX before I'd need a scooter. On the tech side, there are some specific dives I'd like to do (Agamemnon wall, for example) but I'm very ambivalent about more classes. I'm technically doing some dives that are above my pay grade, but not by much, and both my buddies and I seem to be pretty happy with my ability to do them. I can't ever see myself wanting to do any diving at all that involved more than 30 minutes of deco.

Holy cow T2T is dead.

And this is a surprise because....????

OK, I'm bored so I will play.

Because the wrecks I wanted to do required it. Otherwise I would be perfectly happy to dive a single tank on air.

What is your favorite technical dive?

Maybe not my favourites but those that drive me to continue on...
Atlantic- Athelviking, Halifax, NS. 310' to the sand. I have unfinished business

Pacific- Unnamed wreck, northern BC coast. Unfinished business. Could go past 250'. Will find out next year

Kootenay Lake, BC- City of Ainsworth wreck. 365'. It's time to start some business on this one.

Caves- I go to Mexico and dive caves because I find it so much more relaxing compared to my OW dives. No desire to go to Florida.

See above. Without a goal, why do it?

A faster boat. Exploration grade sidescan sonar. Sony EX1 (although I haven't decided in what housing yet). 200W HMI lights.

I got into tech because I wanted to see what was around the next corner. It started with a cavern class, more or less as one more cert to have, then promptly exploded into a real big part of my life. I'm always looking at a new place to dive and wondering where it goes.

My favorite dive is Indian spring. Its just great scenery, not too deep (140ish) and a truly wonderful dive.

Eventually, Id love to explore, but its tough to find non sidemount haves that have passage to explore within the range of OC scuba.

How is easy ... I took a class. Why is more difficult ... mostly because I was getting bored doing the same dives over and over and wanted to try something more challenging.

Hmmmm ... difficult question. Most of my tech dives have been on wrecks in Puget Sound and Lake Washington. Not sure I have a favorite.

This upcoming October I'm heading up to Nootka Sound to achieve one of my tech diving goals ... to find the red gorgonian corals on the deep walls up there.

A rebreather ... I really liked the rEvo I tried out last Sunday, as well as the KISS Explorer. I'm kinda leaning toward the Explorer ... mainly because the manufacturer is nearby and it would be easier for me to get parts and service.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was told it would make me irresistible to women.

Lying bastards.

No, I don't want a CCR. I don't I tell ya.

Those lying bastards have cost me a fortune.

I was bored with the rec dive sites that I had available to me.

The Diamond Knot. Its only 128fsw but its so easy off my boat, you get so much time on it, the vis has always been better than average, and there's so much growing on it.

Get permissions for more mine access and document some cool stuff for my mine history buff colleagues
Dive some BC caves
Find some new wrecks in the Rockies.

Real sidescan but it ain't happening unless I win the lottery.

Holy cow T2T is dead.
Not really surprising. Most of the people in here pretty much know what they're doing and won't be starting a bunch of "how do I" threads. The majority of the discussion here will come from offshoots from stuff asked elsewhere that ends up getting discussed at higher levels.

The Tech Diver is pretty dead too, and a lot of the current stuff on it is not truly tech discussion.

TDS has a bit more active tech talk, but that's to be expected given how long it's been around and how many members are there.

I'm ok with quality discussion vs. quantity. :)

Maybe this will help

I've recently come to the conclusion I became a technical diver totally on accident and now I'm getting invites to do dives that require support divers.

So here's some questions for the group.

So for me.

Never considered it just wanted to be a good diver and kept taking classes and before I knew it I was doing deco procedures and the rest is history. I think the love of diving and seeing new stuff kept me coming back for more and the experiences always reinforce my desire to dive more.

I got to do Eagle's nest this spring and that is an awesome system but my favorite dive is a the Princess Kathleen in Alaska max depth 150' with about 300' of shipwreck to explore, stern steering station on a day with good vis I could just sit there all day looking at it pondering the stories that some of the mates probably swapped there while smoking or whatever.

Keep doing it as long as possible for me. Don't have any desire to go supper deep or do anything crazy. Found a wreck at 365' I'm interested in but risk/reward isn't there while I've got little ones at home.

Camera with a housing capable of handling real depth. I've played with friends camera's some but never enough to get anything good and I've seen so much cool stuff I'd really like to share with friends and family.

Okay you guys are up.

Josh

I got into tech because I wanted to dive somewhere that actually had more than 6 inches of viz so ended up planning a trip to Florida and doing spring diving. That led to taking a cave class.

Goals are just to keep up skills and training to be able to make whatever dive I feel like doing.

I don't have any pressing wants, but an upgrade to a shearwater handset on meg would be a nice addition.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom