Cozumel what to expect now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from pristine conditions, amazing visibility, 85 degree water, and very little current. Was cloudy, hot and STICKY like it always is that time of year but had a GREAT time. Thought the reefs were extremely healthy looking and saw black tips at Caves both dives, tons of baby fish (like thick clouds above the reefs), and some beautiful turtles.

Can't wait! Leaving November 7 for 5 days of diving. Very excited.

I hear you, but I think based on the studies for the SCTLD, there was plenty of reason to think issue are coming from south of the island altogether as well.
I spent a week in South Caicos. No cruise ships and no resort waste drainage into the ocean. SCTLD is horrible. What do we blame now?

I spent a week in South Caicos. No cruise ships and no resort waste drainage into the ocean. SCTLD is horrible. What do we blame now?
Rising seawater temperature, maybe?

Rising seawater temperature, maybe?
Good question. I don't even think that scientists know definitively whether it's a bacterium or virus that causes this malady. Remember that it was first identified in Florida then spread to the Caribbean. Cruise ships in Turks maybe?

Good question. I don't even think that scientists know definitively whether it's a bacterium or virus that causes this malady. Remember that it was first identified in Florida then spread to the Caribbean. Cruise ships in Turks maybe?
Well, if it is an organism of some type and Florida was the point of origin, and since Florida is downstream from the Caribbean, that implies to me some sort of human transport mechanism unless the offending microbes could survive the long journey north to the Arctic and back down the east side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Well, if it is an organism of some type and Florida was the point of origin, and since Florida is downstream from the Caribbean, that implies to me some sort of human transport mechanism unless the offending microbes could survive the long journey north to the Arctic and back down the east side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Yet, the disease seems to travel “upstream”. There must be another vector here.

Actually the Gryre splits at Florida with most headed north as the Gulf Stream but some headed South back into the Caribbean and circling the Caribbean.

Actually the Gryre splits at Florida with most headed north as the Gulf Stream but some headed South back into the Caribbean and circling the Caribbean.
Kinda like a big toilet bowl, eh? :D

Gyre, not gryre. The primary current does flow west from Africa, north from Central America, thru the Cozumel channel and the Florida Straits before heading north as the Gulf Stream, but the lessor currents can circulate in different directions depending on many factors in play at the time...

Capture.JPG

Back
Top Bottom